Squamish Accommodation

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Craig Smith

Squamish Accommodation

Post by Craig Smith » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:27 am

Hallo,

I hope you can help me. I’m looking for a place for my family and I to stay in or around Squamish as a base to go climbing. Ideally, self catering for two adults and two children. Dates are 8th - 17th August.

Also looking for recommendations on what to climb, trad and sport from 5.9-5.13. What routes are the must do’s ? : )

Best wishes,

Craig Smith

Crig.smith@manchester.ac.uk

NateDoggOG

Re: Squamish Accommodation

Post by NateDoggOG » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:58 am

There is a hostel in Squamish, I'm not sure where it is though. There's also the Inn on the Water which is like a slightly higher priced hostel. I haven't stayed in either one.
Your best choice for climbing, particularly in the case of single pitch trad, would be the Smoke Bluffs. Lots of variety, great rock....... you know how it is.
I'm still fairly new to the area, so I don't know all the classics offhand, but there are definitely people on here who can help you out with that.
Good luck.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:10 am

Hi Craig,

Welcome to Squamish Climbing! Hope you have great weather and a good time during your visit. Mid-August is a great time to climb. I think you'll be blown away by the quality and diversity of climbing here.

You may have tried this already - they could already be booked - but you can't get any closer to the crags than Smoke Bluff vacation rental (smokebluff.com). You could practically toss your rope to the crag from the house.

Squamish tourism (tourismsquamish.com) has a listing of accomodations from B&B's to hotels. If you stay at the Howe Sound Inn you don't have to go far for your apres climb pint of beer at the Brew Pub- you got to try their long list of craft brews -- may come close to some British pub brews.

As for climb recommendations that's a toughie, there are a lot of classics. Check out the McClane guide, it has a tick list of four star climbs right through the grades. Since the guide came out there have been quite a few new great lines and new crags opened up. Look and search here on the forum. I'm thinking of the much talked about Skywalker 5.8 at Shannon Falls, WireTap at Olesen Creek and Milk Road 5.11d, 9p and La Gota Fria, 5.11b (A0), 18p and Gravity Bong 5.13a 9p.

Check out Petrifying Wall (The Pet) for hard and steep sport climbs. Head up the road towards Whistler to Chek Canyon for the main sport climbing crags. There's a great trad climb there, StarCheck, that goes right over a raging river.

I leave it up to others to pitch in with their list of must do's.

Happy and safe climbing
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

slopr

Post by slopr » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:45 pm

If you do these ones it will be a good trip

http://www.summitpost.org/squamish-clim ... ist/318127

slopr

Post by slopr » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:47 pm

ps. starchek is entirely bolted
:mrgreen:

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:35 pm

Oops, I ought to do it soon so I know what I'm talking about. :oops:

That Summit Post list is fairly extensive, and includes all the * routes in McLanes guide. I like the list put out by Squamish Rock Guides. It's got most of the classics.
http://www.squamishrockguides.com/classics.htm
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Marc Bourdon
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Marc Bourdon » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:49 am

Hi Craig,

Tried to send you an email about house accommodation, but the email got bounced back. Try me at:

info@quickdrawpublications.com

Marc