Here we go again (Squamish Gondola proposal)

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
psi4ce

Re: Here we go again (Squamish Gondola proposal)

Post by psi4ce » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:47 am

With respect, I wonder why people are discussing the other side of the river as if it is a viable option. This is not a public works project whereby capital spending can simply be redirected based on the preferences of the local climbing community. This is a business venture, and obviously the authors of the plan believe strongly enough that they can turn a profit with their proposed gondola that they are willing to put the process underway... and it obviously is underway. But you can bet that there is little in the way of true flexibility in how the process is structured. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a business plan.

Don't be deceived. These people don't really care about climbers or access. Being developers, they really care only about turning a profit in the most efficient way possible. And I think we all know that that means capitalizing on tourist traffic on highway 99.

I don't think we've been shown any maps showing the proximity of the top station to any kind of climbing or mountain recreation areas. From what I've seen thus far, I'm guessing that spending the money and taking the gondola up to go climbing might save you what, an hour of hiking? Also who's to say it will be open in the winter? There are not really any assured benefits to the climbing and recreation communities.

People I talk to keep trying to compare this situation to Europe, where "there are lifts everywhere". But, I would ask you to think very carefully about whether you give your support to this project or not. Once it is installed, there is no going back. Then it will be too late to complain about having a busy parking lot next to the Bulletheads and the campground, or having a lift tower plastered to the Olesen Creek Wall.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:32 am

I always wonder why people want to copy the Euro's, if you want huts and gondolas and all that goes with it then its available for you 8 hours away. I truly do enjoy that experience, however I also believe that what we have is also unique and it sure would be nice to keep that.

Thats one of the big draws for Euros, the "untouched" wilderness we have right off the road. They killed off most if not all of their wildlife a century ago, not just the bears but most of everything.

I personally would hate for Squamish to ever remotely be like Cham.

Franks plan sure does seem ideal as the master plan for Squamish, I wish money was no object.

However, the gondola folks have been pretty clear.This is for the tour busses parked at Shannon falls, there will be a 1km loop trail at the top a restaurant and a interpretive centre. One would guess that this thing would only be viable to run in the summer months.

I suppose you could always ask Ski Capilano how successful he was running the snowshoe and skiing tours he had up furry creek in winter.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:48 am

Anders Ourom writes the Chief
Ander's sets the Chief newspaper straight and urges a cautious approach to the gondola proposal in a letter published in the paper. He makes a number of good points including this one:
As the gondola would be in or adjacent to Stawamus Chief and Shannon Falls provincial parks, both of which are already heavily used, and would have substantial permanent effects, it and the developers' plans bear close scrutiny. The burden is on the developers to prove the wisdom of their plans, and address all related issues, within the context of what is required by the Parks Act and the interests of all British Columbians.
And he corrects the record by noting it was the CASBC and not the SAS that lead the opposition against the first proposal.

You have to chuckle at the paper's defense for repeating the totally bizarre claim the Chief is the second largest granite monolith in the world. It seems they will only grudgingly give that up.
Editor’s note: The Chief acknowledges and regrets the error regarding the Climbing Society of B.C.’s opposition to the 2004 gondola proposal.

Also, a brief investigation of the claim that the Stawamus Chief is “the second largest granite monolith in the world” was inconclusive. We acknowledge that the claim is unsubstantiated and dependant on how one defines the word “monolith,” which Wikipedia defines as “a geological feature such as a mountain, consisting of a single massive stone or rock, or a single piece of rock placed as, or within, a monument.” The local mountain did not make the “10 largest monoliths in the world” (of any type of rock, we presume) that we were able to find. The sandstone Ayers Rock (Uluru) in Australia was listed as the largest.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:57 pm

So is it safe for me to come to Squamish and climb on Sunday? :D

staven

Post by staven » Sun Jul 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Always welcome, Anders. Thanks for bringing the voice of reason to the readers in Squamish.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:46 am

The Squamish Access Society is looking for feedback to the Gondola proposal. Visit their site for updates http://squamishaccess.ca

Also climbers should be aware that the the proponents are holding community information sessions Thursday, July 21 from 11am to 2pm and Wednesday, July 27 from 8am to 10am and August 3 from 5 to 8:30pm at the Adventure Centre.

Several more information sessions will be held in September before a more formal community open house on September 14th.

Source: seatoskygondola.com
Dave Jones - site admin

BK

Post by BK » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:56 pm

Thanks for the notice.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 am

CTV news did a story on the the Gondola proposal yesterday. The news crew went into Dan's shop and got his thoughts on the project. -- yeah Dan.
Still, Dan Butler at the Climb On Equipment climbing store is concerned that the gondola would take away from the outdoor experience at Mount Habrich.

"[It is] most popular with people who are actually trying to get away from the crowds," he said.

"I think the economic benefits would have to be substantial before I would want to see that experience lost to people."
In related news the proponents website said that they submitted a rezoning application last week for the gravel pit to the District of Squamish.
Dave Jones - site admin

BK

Post by BK » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:30 pm

I had a lengthy chat with one of the principals of the current proposal today. I still can't see any big red flags other than he mentioned that the money (and perhaps control?) might be coming from Brewster of Banff / Jasper concession fame/ infamy.

They come from a Intrawest background and are locals. The top station is actually planned to be higher than I thought - up above 3000 ft at the existing FSR.

They are planning more info sessions at the adventure center and at the saturday farmers market on Cleveland Ave so everyone who gives a damn go look them up

Sang
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Sang » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:20 am

Has anyone heard if this will be open in the winter? Can't seem to find that in the FAQs.

BK

Post by BK » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:47 am

the word out of the horses mouth was possibly but entirely unlikely. The money is in the summer.
I strongly encouraged considering a cross country ski trail network considering the elevation of the top station. This and any other venture up there is likely a bit of a pipe dream at this stage.

BK

Post by BK » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:56 am

The Sea to Sky Gondola Project will be holding information sessions at the following locations:
Wednesday, July 27 from 8 – 10 am at the Squamish Adventure Centre.
Wednesday, August 3 from 5 – 8:30 pm at the Squamish Adventure Centre.
Saturday, September 10 at the Brackendale Fall Fair.
Saturday, September 17 at the Squamish Farmer’s Market.

Information is also available through: www.seatoskygondola.com

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:20 am

The Chief newspaper attended a meeting the proponents had with environmental groups last week.

A couple of more details appears new to me however others may already know this. They gave an idea about the approximate size of the base station:
The gondola base would be built in the six-acre Peter Kiewit and Sons gravel pit alongside Highway 99. It would provide parking spaces for 380 cars and seven buses, as well as a ticket booth, small food-and-beverage outlet, space for guiding facilities and rentals and retail units.
The proponents feel they can make enough money running the gondola during the summer only:
Based on analysis, the gondola would comfortably make enough money to only run four months in the summer, Dunn said. However, he said, he hopes to keep it operating year-round. The gondola could provide between 20 to 30 fulltime positions, Dunn said. Single lift passes could be sold for up to $35, while a season’s pass for locals could run at $100, he added.
The proponents need partners to finance this project:
While Dunn and his business partner, David Greenfield, are currently the primary investors behind the project, outside money is needed, Dunn noted. But he said he hopes to prolong bringing in another party.
The next big meeting for the public to get involved will be the public information session on the rezoning application on September 14th at the Howe Sound Brew Pub:
The proponents have a rezoning application in with the District of Squamish (DOS) for the slated base terminal land. The project is waiting on a B.C. Parks environmental assessment and has to secure a commercial tenure for the Crown land. A public information session on the DOS rezoning will take place on Wednesday, Sept. 14, at 7:30 p.m. at the Howe Sound Brew Pub.
What's the latest buzz/feeling others have heard about this proposal? Let's keep the discussion going because you can bet your rack, the proponents are watching what is said here.
Dave Jones - site admin

BK

Post by BK » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:26 am

the brew pub rezoning meeting is duly noted, but also note that the proponents intend to be available at the Farmers market and Brak Fall fair Sept 10 and 17, which may be a better opportunity to talk more informally and personally.

One comment regarding access: Just having returned from the California Sierra's I can confirm once again that access to the alpine in the so called Outdoor recreation capital of Canada is comparatively worthless, and the maintenance and support for public access by the US National Forest service compared to BC Parks is like night and day. BC Parks can't even properly maintain one lousy dirt road up Paul ridge while numerous paved roads in the sierra's go to 8 to 10 thousand feet followed by well maintained trail systems. Consequently a broad cross section of society uses and values the backcountry there. If we really want the X box generation to appreciate the natural values of our province as we do, access has to be far superior to the present state of affairs. This gondola has some potential.

More important is to vote out the liberals

avit

Post by avit » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:17 pm

BK wrote:More important is to vote out the liberals
Kind of off-topic here, but I'm curious if your comment is related to the Liberals' parks & environment policies, or just in general. I don't love them either for what they've done in their efforts to cut back & sell out our outdoor recreation resources, but Christy Clark has shown her colours by reversing some of Campbell's doings already (namely the parking fees)... Any thoughts on that?

I chatted with the gondola proponents last month at the Adventure Centre. I'm not against the proposal, it looks like it could add some value with a relatively small sacrifice, but I'm still watching with a cautious eye...

What I do appreciate is their openness and consultation with the public. I get the impression they are listening to feedback and trying to work out the concerns before forging ahead.