May Long Weekend - Where's everyone climbing

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

May Long Weekend - Where's everyone climbing

Post by squamish climber » Wed May 18, 2011 8:26 am

The long weekend is approaching and the weather doesn't look half bad -- finally. The rain and chilly temps were getting to be a real drag.

At this point Saturday and Sunday look the best with Monday a little iffy?

BTW what's up with the very different forecasts between Environment Canada and the Weather Network?

Climbers should expect it it to be a little busier. There was a landslide and road washout in Icicle Creek Canyon in Leavenworth this spring and the road is still not clear. Therefore I suspect more climbers from Seattle will be hitting Squamish this weekend and the next (their Memorial Day).

Where do you plan on climbing?
More importantly where is the best place to watch the Canucks game in Squamish?
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Fre

Re: May Long Weekend - Where's everyone climbing

Post by Fre » Wed May 18, 2011 9:58 pm

Traffic Jams on Deirdre today, might be best to hit some of the crags in the bluffs that saw some recent development in the back... really great new stuff out there, of which some could use some traffic

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Fri May 20, 2011 10:40 am

Tell me it isn't so... The forecast is now calling for 80 % of POP on Saturday and 40 % on Sunday. WTF is up with the weather. Is this forecast changing anybody's plans?
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

BK

Post by BK » Sat May 21, 2011 6:21 am

Due to inclement weather The Welcome Back Jesus party has been moved to Nightmare Rock, which seems more appropriate anyway. Here we can avoid the biblical flooding and be reasonably well sheltered from all the avenging angels flying about. Bring only chalk and your favorite beverage (clothing optional). This is everyones big chance to float Big Daddy overhang naked which is as good a way to end this show as any! If you didn't get your invite by now don't worry as I understand we chosen ones can all bring one guest so long as they voted conservative and are not of the gay persuasion. For those less fortunate as you can still look forward to an eternity of over heated bouldering caves with poor ventilation, which you must admit is still better than squamish in winter.

If you can't make it to the ho down have yourself a jolly good rapture and remember to leave your rack and anything else of value out in the drive way before you go anywhere

Squamish Access club, Religion, staples and dog turd removal committee Chair, Zoot Allures

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Sat May 21, 2011 9:21 am

Tell me it isn't so... The forecast is now calling for 80 % of POP on Saturday and 40 % on Sunday.
1) Never talk about how dry and awesome the weather is going to be before the weekend; upsets the weather gods

2) If its a long weekend isn't is supposed to rain? Always plan to go away then change plans to stay at the last minute when the weather comes around; appeases the weather gods

Anyways at three quarters through the month squish is only at around 20% of normal rainfall so more than likely when its all over May will go down as drier than seasonal average.

AS far as weather forecasts go, online stuff is very suspect mainly appealing to the publics want of longer and longer forecasts regardless of their reliability. I am not aware of any free weather services/sites including Environment Canada that have any human manipulation in forecasts beyond hour 60. You can call EC for a fee if you need a better long range.

Otherwise your best bet is to just read the discussions on weather forecast sites.

http://www.atmos.washington.edu/data/disc_report.html
SYNOPSIS...A WEAK SURFACE FRONT AND UPPER LEVEL TROUGH MOVING
THROUGH THE REGION WILL KEEP SKIES CLOUDY WITH A CHANCE OF RAIN OVER
WESTERN WASHINGTON THIS MORNING. MOIST LOW LEVEL ONSHORE FLOW BEHIND
THE FRONT WILL KEEP THE AREA COOL AND MOSTLY CLOUDY WHILE A SECOND
UPPER LEVEL TROUGH WILL HELP KEEP THE THREAT OF RAIN OR SHOWERS IN
THE FORECAST FOR SUNDAY AND MONDAY. DRIER WEATHER WILL RETURN
TUESDAY AS ONSHORE FLOW WEAKENS AND A WEAK UPPER LEVEL RIDGE BUILDS
OVER THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST. IN THE EXTENDED THE PATTERN LOOKS TO
REMAIN WET AND AND COOL AS A SERIES OF FRONTS AND A LARGE UPPER
LEVEL LOW MOVE THROUGH THE REGION WEDNESDAY THROUGH FRIDAY.
So Monday is probably still crappy
LONG TERM...MODELS ARE IN GOOD AGREEMENT THROUGH MOST OF THE
EXTENDED AS 06Z GFS TRENDS TO THE ECMWF SOLUTION...ESPECIALLY FOR
THE SYSTEM TUESDAY NIGHT. WEAK UPPER LEVEL RIDGING WILL BUILD OVER
THE REGION TUESDAY MORNING...LIKELY PRODUCING THE SUNNIEST DAY IN
THE NEXT WEEK. MODELS HAVE THE NEXT FRONT BRINGING SOME RAIN TO THE
AREA TUESDAY NIGHT. MODELS IN LESS AGREEMENT OVER FRONTAL SYSTEM FOR
THURSDAY/FRIDAY AND THE LARGE UPPER LEVEL LOW FORMING OVER THE NE
PACIFIC BY NEXT WEEKEND.
And the Americans will probably get a crap long weekend too...

see you on Tuesday

CarlCuperstone

Post by CarlCuperstone » Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:02 am

Hey BK, I will make sure that I will rack and anything else of value out in the drive way before I go anywhere. But I don't have the invite. You guys have a blast!