Climbing advice for a beginner

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Pat Bateman

Climbing advice for a beginner

Post by Pat Bateman » Mon May 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Its been a while but I want to get back into rock climbing. I've been on group trips (about a week long) and small climbs but I'm looking to get serious about it now. I've climbed in gyms, repelled down small cliffs (100ft) and done some rock climbing in various locations.

I'm having a hard time finding some basic guidelines to getting some easy (to start...) climbing done in BC. I'm really interested in climbing the Stawamus Chief.

Should I do some indoor rockwall/gym training before I try and tackle some real climbs?
Wheres a good place to start?
What is some vital equipment to invest in? Some knowledge to brush up on?

Any and all advice, tips, suggestions are welcome. Please reply here or email me: nicholas.ps@gmail.com

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Climbing advice for a beginner

Post by squamish climber » Tue May 17, 2011 9:03 am

Hi Pat,
Hopefully a few others have offered you some advice cause there a lot of talented and experienced climbers on this forum.

My own opinion is that the best and fastest way to learn the skills and knowledge for climbing is by taking a course or hiring a guide. This way you're going to get the latest and universally approved methods for setting up anchors and belays. Check out any of the guiding companies in Squamish such as Squamish Rock Guides.

Another option is to climb with an experienced climber, but there's a chance you may pick up some systems and techniques that while widely used are not the safest or simplest.

You should also pick up some books to supplement and reinforce this knowledge, the John Long "How to Rock Climb" series is good.

Before you climb with anyone, they will want to know and see that your belay techniques are solid and 100 percent correct.

Many climbing shops sell a beginner packages which include a harness, HMS carabiner, belay device, rock shoes and helmet. Check out MEC or Vallaha Pure in Squamish.

Have fun and stay stay safe
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Fre

Re: Climbing advice for a beginner

Post by Fre » Tue May 17, 2011 3:07 pm

Hi Pat,
You could also join the Squamish climbing and scrambling group. They go out every week, you'll meet fellow climbers of all levels and have a very social/cheap/safe way to learn the ropes.

http://www.meetup.com/Adventure-Climbing-Scrambling/

Cheers