Should werwolves and vampires pay to play on Squam rock?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Should werwolves and vampires pay to play on Squam rock?

Post by squamish climber » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:21 pm

Okay this is slightly in jest following the speculation that they're shooting the latest Twilight saga- Breaking Dawn at the Pet. Wall.

There is a little rocky history between the local climbing community and film companies. In the past there's been little notice given, the rock or ground has been impacted and little consideration has been given to access or alternatives when filming.

I understand these productions contribute to the local economy by purchasing goods and services. I also understand that the municipality collects fees and licenses. And I hope locals are employed as riggers ectc. But I wonder if relations could be improved and if film shoots at crags could not become a benefit for the climbing community. What would happen if Squamish climbers and the film crew were to volunteer one day at the crag building improvements? It could be better pit toilets, stairs or shelters. The film company could also contribute financially to the project. This could go a long way in improving relations and bring many climbers onside. I know this is what happened in my community on Bowen Island. When they were filming Harpers Island the production company donated the lumber and some crew to help build a rain shelter at the dock. They didn't have to but the move made them some friends and I think they even got a mention on a plaque.

It may take the SAS to make the first move.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

BK

Re: Should werwolves and vampires pay to play on Squam rock?

Post by BK » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:16 pm

yes. SAS should get going on this.

To start, I think all certified squamish climbers should be allowed unrestricted access to the craft service table. And all bolt placements must be vetted by a comitee headed by Jimmy Scar.
We must be compensated for having our access to wet rock and mud restricted.

By the way, somebody fixed the stairs quite nicely at the pet. thanks whoever it was

BK