Silent Menace!

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Ollie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Silent Menace!

Post by Ollie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:13 am

Just watched the film on here with the big flake coming off! Can someone let me know if it has been done since.

thanks,

Ollie

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Silent Menace!

Post by squamish climber » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:23 am

Ollie,

I did a little search on the forum and came up with this post
JSmith wrote:Smell The Glove/Silent Menace
by JSmith » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:21 pm
Yesterday Ben Harnden A.K.A. "Butters" made the first ascent of Silent Menace since the starting hold broke off, renaming it Smell The Glove. The new version clocks in around .14b. Also of note is Butters height. At five foot three, he single handedly takes away the excuse of not being tall enough to climb hard.
look in this thread http://squamishclimbing.com/squamish_cl ... ace#p10413
I'm not sure if renaming the route stuck.
----------
Did a little more digging and also came up with this info courtesy of squamishclimbingblogspot.com
Saturday, April 4, 2009
Ben and The New Silent Menace
Yesterday I was fooling around on the internet and I came across this photo of Ben Harnden climbing The Silent Menace, a route in the Grand Wall Boulders first bolted by Jim Sanford and then first climbed, I think, by either Sonnie Trotter or Jordan Wright. The line starts by the climber jumping a gap to a huge jug that hangs midway on a blank face to start the climb. Two summers this hold was mysteriously found at the bottom of the climb with no explanation of who pulled it off or how it came down. A few weeks passed and Matt Lucas found a video of someone climbing this line on the internet. I have posted this video so you can check it out. You got to imagine that a number of people have started this climb without clipping the first bolt on the wall before jumping!

Anyways...to make a long story short, Ben Harnden was really close to climbing The Silent Menace when the hold was ripped off. Ben had found a way to traverse in from the left instead of jumping the huge gap and when finding out that the hold was gone he was pretty bummed that he would finish his project that summer. Now for those of you who know Ben, he is made of steal. No one can stop this guy and especially not a big hold ripping off the wall! With a whole lot of determination, Ben started back on his project the next summer to find a sequence on very small crimps that now were in place of the huge jug. Two summers later, Ben got the first ascent of The New Silent Menace (This is actually not the new name of the climb but I think Ben gave it a super weird name that I think everyone has forgottten). Nice one Ben!
source: http://squamishclimbing.blogspot.com/20 ... enace.html

Does anybody else have any info to add?
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Ollie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Re: Silent Menace!

Post by Ollie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:44 pm

Thanks for that. Good to hear it still goes although its a shame the jump start has gone..