West side of squam river

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.

If there was a tyrolean across the river I would...

Cross it and climb cleaned lines b/c I love climbing new sh*t.
28%
Explore, Scrub and Contribute the the climbing community and the developement of new zones.
50%
Continue climbing the same route at the smoke bluff b/c I dont like long approaches.
13%
Build a 'lean to' and live there and on cross the tyro to get new climbing shoes
9%

Total votes: 32

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:17 am

There may be more, or less, to the climbing history of the crags on the west side of the river than is readily apparent. There was vague talk in the 1970s of people visiting the area, by canoe or across the cable, but nothing definite - it was possibly just "talked about". The south-facing cliff just north of the confluence of the Squamish and Cheakamus Rivers was visited by the early 1980s, but I don't yet know what may have been done.

For the west side crags, it's possible that the land is subject to the resource claims by the Squamish First People, even if it's not formally in a reserve or park yet. They might well be interested in the riverside land, anyway.

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:34 pm

I know a couple of people who have stumbled into little grow-ops over there while bashing around in the bushes. So it is getting used for something useful...

slopr

Post by slopr » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:01 am

:mrgreen:

matt maddaloni
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

first ascent of the diagonal crack

Post by matt maddaloni » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:12 pm

Mark Gandy has mentioned to me several times that he did the FA of that diagonal crack far above Echo Wall
cheers
mm

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Thu Nov 25, 2010 11:37 am

Matt has some additional photos climbing the Titan on his blog climblife.blogspot.com

Matt Maddaloni at the start of his new route Titan 5.13c - Echo Wall Squamish River Westside

Matt halfway up

Matt on the final moves
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:19 pm

Mark may have done the FA, but there's really no way to know. Becky might have done it fifty years ago... It's pretty easy and a striking line from town. I'd be surprised if he was the first person to bother walking up to it.

Kris

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: West side of squam river

Post by squamish climber » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:43 am

I am going to resurrect this old thread to see if anybody has any updates. Kris (aka scrubber) et al have you done any more climbing over there? Has anybody repeated Matt’s climb the Titan?

Was on the dike the other weekend and took these shots.
Is Titan the roof in the this shot?

The crags look great over there except maybe wait for a long dry spell on this one, the creek comes right out of the trees and over the rock
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Drew

Re: West side of squam river

Post by Drew » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:56 am

IIRC when that wet streak freezes up that is "Great Falls Sip & Dip Lounge" WI2 95m