Missing hanger on Zoe

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
RobWall
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Missing hanger on Zoe

Post by RobWall » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:18 pm

Did Zoe on Sunday. There was a NOTE in a plastic bag on the first bolt saying that the "4th bolt had fallen out". It was dated the day before.

When I got to that bolt, in fact the bolt seemed fine but the hanger was missing. All the bolts seemed newish and well placed to me.

Did the person who placed the note actually see it "fall out"?

Did someone remove the hanger on purpose perhaps? Because there is a crack a few feet from that bolt? If so its pretty silly on what is practically a sport route...
604 848 9642

5.4 Slayer

Post by 5.4 Slayer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:30 am

I've had / seen hangers fall off. The nut works loose and the hanger falls off. I'm assuming that's what happened here.

smallman

Post by smallman » Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:48 am

The nut was loose a couple of weeks ago when I climbed it. I hand tightened back on but not have a wrench. It would be nice if there was a nut tool with a built in wrench on the market. Is the hanger still at the bottom of the climb?

raingod
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by raingod » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:29 am

[quote="smallman"].... It would be nice if there was a nut tool with a built in wrench on the market. ...quote]

I find the black diamond nut tool with the beer opener does a good job when used as a wrench.

BlahMatt

Post by BlahMatt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:49 am

smallman wrote:The nut was loose a couple of weeks ago when I climbed it. I hand tightened back on but not have a wrench. It would be nice if there was a nut tool with a built in wrench on the market. Is the hanger still at the bottom of the climb?
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_deta ... 4302691269

Has a 17mm wrench under the rubber palm protector. The rubber part is pretty nice to have, too.

5.4 Slayer

Post by 5.4 Slayer » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:42 am

Wouldn't the standard nuts require 1/2 inch or 12mm wrench?

paulc

Post by paulc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:44 am

We (Matty and I) were at Murrin on Sunday, found a hanger/washer/nut at Bog wall in the AM (left it there, wasn't for the top anchors there).

Went to pet and played around and heard from other climbers (some nice Brits) that there was a missing hanger.

Went back to bog wall and picked up said hardware, replaced said missing hanger (with a wrench) on Zoe and removed the note.

Problem solved, now onto the question, why was the hanger at Bog wall? Was it the same hanger? Fit perfectly. Calling Sherlock Holmes...

P

paulc

Post by paulc » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:46 am

Also noticed the odd wording on the note. Only thing we though of is that usually bolt and hanger are synonymous, though you would think that in this case the note writer would be more specific...

P

BlahMatt

Post by BlahMatt » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:24 pm

5.4 Slayer wrote:Wouldn't the standard nuts require 1/2 inch or 12mm wrench?
Very true. The wrench would be too big!