North Walls Trail Adopt-a-Crag Oct 17

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:49 pm

As a sponsored climber - I bet you didn't know that - I naturally use the sponsor's products. In this case, a very fine Saigon shoulder bag from Onsight Equipment of Squamish. Pretty spiffy, huh?
http://onsighttravelgear.com/product.as ... 93&catid=2

I believe these things are also very trendy, which would be a first for me. Some call them manpurses, aka murses.

I was also wearing my spiffy Access Society "Friend of the Chief" button, and if needed had the secret handshake and decoder ring.

Peter

Post by Peter » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:04 pm

You guys didn't find a biner of mid size nuts around there did you?

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:38 pm

I believe these things are also very trendy, which would be a first for me. Some call them manpurses, aka murses.
Murses - I like that, may have to use that sometime. I've have a cool leather saddle bag I got in Guatemala but I got tired explaining what it was so don't carry it much anymore.

Jeremy, thanks for the photos of that new route. I think the North Walls have bit of a reputation for steep and hard climbs but those slabs lower down may pull in some climbers looking for moderate, easy climbs.

Dave
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Dru

Post by Dru » Sat Oct 23, 2010 9:52 am

It's a little bit hard to see, but an unnamed and otherwise undescribed route is shown dotted up that lower slab as far as Astro Ledge on photo 52 in the 1974 Culbert guide Chief appendix, page 348. So it is probably inaccurate to call this feature "unclimbed".

Worth noting too that the 1999 rockfall from the top of Zodiac came down almost the same line on the slab and strafed a lot of vegetation off it. Apparently not the first rockfall from the same region. (see p.281, McLane 2001 guide)

There are several other route lines shown in the same Chief Appendix in a similar fashion (no name or description) because they were climbed too late for full descriptions to be printed in the guide, including the Prow route on the Prow Wall.

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:28 pm

One of us did find an old pair of glasses, which looked something like the ones that Dean used to wear. Maybe dropped during his and Randy's forays on Zodiac Wall?

Hopefully the 'new' trail will get some use, even if it's mostly for people going to NN Arete, and possible new nearby routes.

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:31 pm

I walked up there yesterday (Sunday the 31st), and must say I'm amazed at the amount of work you guys got done! I thought you only got just past the start of Alaska Highway, but all the way around past the start of New Life? Wow!

Sorry I couldn't be part of the fun. Thanks everyone for all of your hard work.

Kris

Optimally-Primed

Post by Optimally-Primed » Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:26 pm

A stroll along the new North Walls trail with a camera. All photos are from the trail. Existing and new-route potential... from south to north:

Arriving at the base. Astrologger above. Unclimbed (?) corner to the right goes for at least 2 pitches. Alaska Highway is over on the left.

Astrologger

Alaska Highway up the middle

The base of what will hopefully soon be the 5.8 up the North Walls

Not in any guidebook I've seen...

Low Lying "Fruit"

overview of the left side

obvious corner system #1

obvious corner system #2

New Life (L) and Tall Skinny People (R)

Scrubber(s), go to it!

dirty
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by dirty » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:37 am

Weell... f-in A right on, good job Mr. Primed!!

Now THAT'S what we're talkin' about!

Good ol' fashioned climbing talk!!

Love it! Thanks.

Let's getiton!!