access to showcase spire in sep.

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Taks
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

access to showcase spire in sep.

Post by Taks » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Hi,

We are visiting Squamish 17-23 sep.
The showcase spire is one of our target, but could anyone tell me is the "summer access" still available in September? I refer to the "Squamish Select".

Or I appreciate if someone could give me a direction how to get there.

Thanks.
Taks

Marty

Post by Marty » Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:18 pm

According to http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/mounta ... aheading=0, the Wizard chair listed in the guidebook will be closed during your visit.

However, you can still get about 2/3 of the way up the mountain by taking the Peak-to-Peak gondola across from Whistler. The 7th Heaven chair will be closed, so you'd have to hike up to the top of that chair directly from the Rendezvous. From the top of the 7th Heaven chair, things would remain the same as listed in Squamish Select.

If you choose to do that hike, you won't want to hike down Expressway, but rather head straight up the mountain.

I climbed the Spire via this route back in the beginning of August, so it can be done. There was a discussion on the details earlier: http://www.squamishclimbing.com/squamis ... php?t=2944

If you go for it, I'd recommend that you be ready at the gondola right at opening time, the round trip can be a little tight if you want to take the gondola back down to the village.

Taks
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Thanks

Post by Taks » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:39 pm

>Marty

Thanks so much for the information!
Taks

Dru

Post by Dru » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:29 am

I heard there was 20cm of fresh snow on Whistler a few days ago. You might find Showcase Spire to be pretty snowy right now.

corn_dog
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by corn_dog » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Whistler web cams show the snow has melted.

Dan