Aussies want to climb in November/December 2010

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
timandloz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Aussies want to climb in November/December 2010

Post by timandloz » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:40 am

Hi there,

My partner and I have booked our honeymoon to Canada in November/December this year. We were hoping to go climbing and skiing and was wondering if it is possible to climb/boulder at Squamish in November/December considering the weather and if so, where the best places are to go at this time of year.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Tim and Loz

Dru

Post by Dru » Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:33 am

It is possible, just not necessarily likely.

November is the rainiest month of the year and often soaking wet every single day. Desperate boulderers can be seen in in the caves climbing the dry sitstarts to where the wetness gets too bad and then dropping off.

December is not quite as wet but is colder.

That said there is somewhere around a snowball's chance in hell that there will be a few days of deliciously cold, clear weather with dry conditions and awesome friction during your visit. Don't plan on it happening, but it might.

The Apron Talus and the Smoke Bluffs are the first bouldering and climbing areas, respectively, to dry out.

Every once in a while there is some ice climbing to be had in early December but that is, if anything, even less likely than a dry day on the rock.

c-plus

Post by c-plus » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:53 pm

realistically, if you want to climb, you're best off heading south... like to red rocks (outside of las vegas), or joshua tree or something like that in California. even coming here in october would be a roll of the dice as good conditions rapidly give way to a rain that won't stop for any real length of time until sometime in... may or june.... seriously.

the earliest skiing (IIRC) starts on blackcomb in late november on the american thanksgiving weekend.

that being said, if you're coming to canada, i hear the smoked meat in montreal is nice and you can eat that rain or shine ;)

scrubber

Post by scrubber » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:27 pm

The only reason that any climbing ever happens here from November to March is that we live here. We are so desparate by that time of year that at the slightest hint of it being dry and warm enough, we duck out of work early and try to get a few pitches/ problems in before reality sets in.

In the 13 years I've lived here I've rarely seen a month when climbing couldn't be had. You've just got to be ready for it. In all honesty you will probably have a far better time skiing than chasing dry rock. But that doesn't mean not to bring your shoes harness and chalkbag... (Doing that only guarantees a week of clear crisp sunshine)

Bouldering pads can be rented in town if that's your game.

Good luck and have a great trip. Does your new bride know you're trying to sneak some climbing onto her dream Whistler ski holiday??? :wink:

RobWall
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Dec climb for Aussies

Post by RobWall » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:22 pm

In which case I would recommend Mt Buffalo Vic, its great in Dec!
604 848 9642

timandloz
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Thanks for the beta!

Post by timandloz » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:59 am

Thanks guys for the beta!

Sounds like if we like the Canadians on this trip, we will just have to arrange another trip at a better time of year for Squamish!! Last time we tried to climb in the Northern hemisphere (right side drivers in Europe), we had a bad car accident, limiting our climbing options then too!

It may just have to be a combination Whistler (Skiing) and Red rocks (Climbing), though we were hoping to avoid america(ns), but if the rock is good, it may be worthwhile, depending on how long it takes to get there from Vancouver (also any entry issues??).

Cheers and thanks again,
Loz (the bride who loves to climb as well as groom!)

jipstyle

Post by jipstyle » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:17 am

So long as you have passports, you won't have any entry problems.

Don't avoid Americans ... they are great people, as people are everywhere.

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:41 am

November and early December can be marginal for skiing, whether at Whistler or in the Rockies. Some years there's lots of snow by then, many not. You may want to climb first, then ski later.

Red Rocks and Joshua Tree are fairly easy to get to from Vancouver - there are lots of flights to Las Vegas and Palm Springs. They're pretty much the nearest place where you can be reasonably sure of dry rock and tolerable weather for rock climbing in November and December. So you may want to start by going there, then come north and try some skiing.

I've heard you can get married in Vegas, too. :D

Ed Seedhouse
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Ed Seedhouse » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:15 am

Well it's easily worth the trip even if you just stand in the parking lot and gawk at that amazing piece of geology. And no access restrictions. As long as it's not too rainy to see the top, of course.
Ed Seedhouse

Victoria, B.C.