SAS Position Re: Legal Sanction on Route Cleaning

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:44 pm

Noticed that the Squamish Access Society posted their position on this issue on their website last week
source: squamishaccess.ca
Several recent events within the Stawamus Provincial Park have led BC Parks staff and others to ask what actions should be taken to address activities that may lead to damage of existing climbing routes as well as endangerment of the non-climbing public.

Specifically, this has been in the context of new route development and retro-cleaning. I would like to take this opportunity to clarify that the Squamish Access Society is not seeking to have charges laid against anyone with respect to these activities. Any discussion that has occurred regarding the laying of charges against any specific route developer(s) has occurred outside of SAS or our Climbing Advisory Group (CRAG).

The SAS does not want to see this kind of enforcement from BC Parks, and would prefer a consensus driven community approach, with the backing of BC Parks, to deal with these issues. Upon speaking directly with BC Parks on this matter, it is clear to me that they too do not want to start charging anyone, including climbers, for activities that do not comply with the BC Parks Act. That being said, the SAS cannot stop BC Parks from making what it deems necessary changes to its regulatory framework.

Via CRAG and other avenues, SAS is actively engaged with BC Parks to find an amicable solution to the
recent events that have led some to feel legal action is required. I hope our work will lead to a system that is favourable to all concerned and will alleviate any issues there might be with new route development within the three BC Parks in the Squamish area.

Questions and comments can be made here through our website.

Regards,

Charlie Harrison, P.Eng.
President
Squamish Access Society

Published on July 27, 2010 · Filed under: Chief;
Let's hope cool heads prevail and a resolution is found. It shouldn't be too hard should it? As Canadians we are supposed to be good at compromises.
I would suggest if you have something constructive to say you send a comment on their website.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb