Partner around 8th 9th 10th Aug

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
AndyB
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Partner around 8th 9th 10th Aug

Post by AndyB » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:56 am

My name is Andy Barton from the Yorkshire Dales in England and Chair of the Craven Mountaineering Club. My wife Hanne and will be visiting Canada in August, bringing our mountain bikes and walking boots and planning to journey from Vancouver to Calgary doing a variety of activities on route.

I am really keen to climb for a day or two in the region and am looking for a partner or group who would be happy to climb with me and show us the rock scene. Unfortunately Hanne doesn't climb anymore and being into my fifties, I am no rock athlete. I'll lead VS (UIAA V+) (USA 5.6) on traditional gear or F6a+ sports (bolted) and will second harder. I will bring my shoes, harness and chalk but little if any gear.

I suspect that you guys are younger and hard climbers than me so if you don't fancy going slow, perhaps you could put me in touch with a friendly sole or two who would be happy to spend a day or two with us, that would be really great. I have my eye on doing something on The Chief at Squamish for the record, but don't know whether anything is in my grade (it all looks perilously steep)

Our detailed itinerary has not yet been sorted but we recon on or about the 8th August.

monkeygrp
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Get ready for an ego boost

Post by monkeygrp » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:05 am

Squamish 5.6 is a walk in the park.

AndyB
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

undergraded

Post by AndyB » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:41 am

Perhaps I have have undergraded I'm comfortable on F6a+ outside sport climbs and F6b+ when motoring which someone tells me is 5.11a. Can someone confirm that?

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Tue Jul 20, 2010 12:36 pm

True, it looks like you were sandbagging your own climbing level. Take a look at grade conversion chart in the articles section. (http://squamishclimbing.com/articles.php?&ID=1)

French 6b is 5.10d not 5.6.

Now your talking about some real climbing.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

Dru

Post by Dru » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:31 pm

And traditional VS is ~5.8, while UIAA V+ is up to easy 5.9.

Ray Moon
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Ray Moon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:56 am

Hi Andy,

Hope you have a great trip out here. Do not get to bothered with the grades as there are some classic routes here at all levels....and the granite here has a different feel to it compared to the climbing areas in the North of England.

If the missus likes hiking, this is a great area to explore and I would recommend the Garibaldi lakes area (Panorama ridge is aptly named) to you. It does get busy unfortunately at this time of the year but the views are stunning.

I may be available on the 8th if you want a climbing partner. If you want to climb 11c's then I apologize because that is real scary and I would have to do the garden or paint the house or something.