Cable crossing to Tantalus still ok?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
monkeygrp
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Cable crossing to Tantalus still ok?

Post by monkeygrp » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:29 pm

Hi-

I'm aware that this isn't technically a Squamish climbing topic, but it's close.

I'm planning my first trip up to Lake Lovelywater in a few weeks and I wonder if it's still ok to be using the cable crossing. Any issues with the Squamish nation? Anybody been up there recently?

Thanks!
matt

Fre

Post by Fre » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:47 am

I checked it out 2 months ago. The cable crossing is still there and easy to use (just check for beehives in the big bowls on the upper cable before you try and pass them). You can cross the Squamish nation land and park your car in the clearing if you pay the dude in the caravan 5 bucks or something like that. According to him your car might get vandalized if you park it on the road ("a recurring problem, hard to control" were his exact words).

gearheart

Post by gearheart » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:22 pm

I'd highly recommend a canoe crossing rather than the cable if you can manage it. Todd

psi4ce

Post by psi4ce » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:44 am

Yeah, I've never been there but I heard a first-hand report from a pretty hard dude that the cable crossing was a rather heinous experience that he would never repeat if given the option.

Apparently there's a jet-boat which can pop you across the river for pretty cheap.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:25 am

I recommend biting the bullet and choppering in. It's waste of time hiking in/out. Unless you are super fast, you will waste almost a full day hiking back to the Haberl Hut and another day out. Believe me, if time is an issue, you will want to split the cost of the chopper between a few friends.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:56 am

I recommend biting the bullet and choppering in. It's waste of time hiking in/out.
Says the guy who wouldnt clip a bolt if clean gear was available...its a moderate hike, sack up sporto

:lol:

gearheart

Post by gearheart » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:47 am

Here is a report from the trip in there we made with approach times, etc so you can judge accordingly. As you can see, we would have flown to the (then) red tit hut, but couldn't so changed the plan and canoed & marched and it wasn't that bad. The alpha/serratus col (aka the Inca bivy) is a truly awesome spot. Todd

http://www.bivouac.com/TripPg.asp?TripId=5052

Cloudraker

Post by Cloudraker » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:13 pm

Once used pulleys to cross and last summer walked the line. Luckily no bees - wouldn't that suck?! No big deal getting up to Lovelywater on foot, but hoofing it all the way up to the Haberl/Red Tit hut area with a heavy pack sucks balls. Done it and not interested in doing it again. It can take the better part of a day from the Russian camp. If you're going all the way flying in is the way to go.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:23 pm

If your going to do the traverse you can just walk up sigurd creek and avoid the crossing till you come back, in that case you can just call the boat from lake lovely water and meet him there for a cheap trip across the river.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:33 pm

J Mace wrote:
I recommend biting the bullet and choppering in. It's waste of time hiking in/out.
Says the guy who wouldnt clip a bolt if clean gear was available...its a moderate hike, sack up sporto

:lol:
Hey, ease up J Mace. I am a beginner sport climber trying to break into the world of trad. Please go easy on me as I am sensitive as to how others perceive me and the way I do things Image

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Lol. Was it one or 2 peices of gear on apron strings i cant remember brendan
Bradley

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:09 pm

bradley3297 wrote:Lol. Was it one or 2 peices of gear on apron strings i cant remember brendan
LOL. Two. Three on the Pillar :oops:

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:45 am

LOL. Two. Three on the Pillar
One fell out, so it was one and the three on the pillar were crap, I took you off belay after half way, was no point.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:01 pm

Oh J Mace, your memory is not as sharp as your weather forecasting skills. Maybe you and "Dru" should stick to some easy alpine routes out in the 'wack :wink:

If you think hard enough you will remember that you dropped your belay device when you tried to quickly flip it right-side up after realizing that it was UPSIDE DOWN :roll:
Who does that??
Good thing I taught you the Munter Hitch before heading off that day...

Never again.

ryan_boarder

Post by ryan_boarder » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:40 pm

what's Sigurd Creek trail like?
Whether you think you can or you think you can't... you're right.