Calcuclus crack accident

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
jefffski

Calcuclus crack accident

Post by jefffski » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:52 pm

I read about an accident that happened on Calculus crack. I hope the injured party is ok.

http://www.theprovince.com/health/survi ... story.html

An article in the Chief, says he was on the first section of the climb, probably the very first pitch in the trees.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:01 am

Yes - sending best wishes to the injured climber and a full recovery. And props to the Squamish Emergency Program Society and others for the smooth rescue. The article mentions there has been an increase in long-line rescues. Anybody have any stats over the last few years?
Published June 9, 2010
LOCAL NEWS

Climber survives 10-metres fall on Chief
Squamish Search and Rescue volunteers save climber from multi-pitch trail Meagan Robertson
mrobertson@squamishchief.com

Squamish Search and Rescue team saved a 51-year-old Vancouver man after he survived a 10-metre fall from The Chief on Tuesday afternoon.

Squamish Emergency Program Society president Suzanne Kenney said the climber was on a multi-pitch trail on the north edge of the Apron called the Calculus Crack when he fell.

They received the distress call at 1:40 p.m. and 17 volunteer members arrived on the scene to assist with the rescue mission.

The experienced climber fell one pitch and hit a tree on the way down before being stopped by his properly-placed gear, according to Kenney.

“They were pretty low,” said Kenney. “They were only on the first section of the climb.”

The rescue was performed using the helicopter extraction transportation system, more commonly known as long line rescue. The climber was rescued within three hours and transferred to Squamish General Hospital with lower back and possible internal injury.”

“Overall, it was smooth operation and went off extremely well,” said Kenney.

They were called to a second incident with an injured hiker in the smoke bluffs just as they were wrapping up.

“The number of incidents and calls is increasing because they’ve been more visitors to our area,” she said. “And we’ve seen an specific increase in the need for long-line rescue.”

Their program runs on the backs of local volunteers and auxiliary costs such as helicopter rental is paid for through the provincial emergency program.

“The mission worked really well,” said Squamish Emergency Program coordinator Jim lang. “It’s another tribute that shows what a great program we have.”

Vancouver Coastal Health said the man was discharged but could not provide further details.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

imnotnate

Post by imnotnate » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:08 pm

Here's to a speedy recovery!

I'm pretty sure I was climbing just in front of this group that day. My partner was coming up on second when a guy on lead caught up to him - at the ledge below the cruxy bit on the second "tree" pitch before calculus proper starts (where it gets steep for a short section before mellowing out to the bolted station). They had a quick conversation and my buddy kept climbing.

We were pretty surprised they didn't catch up to us at the next belay, but figured they might've bailed when they saw the lineup (there was another group in front of us). We didn't hear anything, but as we got higher up on the route thought something might've gone wrong when the chopper came in. Wish we would have known sooner, might have been able to help, but glad to hear the rescue went well. Best wishes and smooth recovery to the injured!

Russianfront
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Re: Calcuclus crack accident

Post by Russianfront » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:28 pm

jefffski wrote:I read about an accident that happened on Calculus crack. I hope the injured party is ok.

http://www.theprovince.com/health/survi ... story.html

An article in the Chief, says he was on the first section of the climb, probably the very first pitch in the trees.
I like how in the article they keep refering to the climb as a trail. Dumb a$% reporters.

I hope the climber is OK and will fully recover soon.

slopr

Post by slopr » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:56 pm

Not just a trail Russianfront, a challenging and advanced trail! If he was discharged it sounds like he got lucky. Great job by the rescue volunteers!