My first 6 months of climbing photography

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Russianfront
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

My first 6 months of climbing photography

Post by Russianfront » Sat May 29, 2010 2:20 pm

Hey all,
I started shooting climbing last December 6th when a friend of mine invited me out to photograph him working on Flight of the Challenger at Murrin (in super cold temps). I quickly got hooked on climbing photography and have been out taking climbing pics weather permitting ever since. Now almost 6 months later I edited the photos and threw together an album of the best ones. Hopefully over the summer my shooting skills will get better and I will start pulling off some epic images.

Here's the results of a lot of shutter clicks:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/577808655pQWLzP

fredaudet
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by fredaudet » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:24 pm

Since body care to answer, I'll add the first comment in 150 views. Nice photography! Your photos are awesome. Contrasts are perfect...

thebigchin

Post by thebigchin » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:08 pm

OK, I'll comment...

Don't put the climber in the middle of the frame. Look up the "rule of thirds". It'll make your photos much more interesting.

Keep at and do some research. You'll be taking magazine shots in no time.

Dooley

Post by Dooley » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:09 am

Water mark your photos and charge Marc a fee!
When in doubt....run it out!!!!

Optimally-Primed

Post by Optimally-Primed » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:31 pm

Great shots. Another suggestion: shoot many, show few. A huge part of photography is looking at what you have on your computer and deciding which are the best. My rule of thumb is the assume that people will only remember the least good photo. So take out any photos that you don't want to be the one people remember. Quality over quantity. Rich Wheater's site is a good example.

Great start!

harihari

Post by harihari » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:01 am

I second Jer. WAY too many mediocre shots that crowd out the decent ones. Don't photograph top-roping. Unless you have some kind of serious aesthetic shot (silhouetee, stunnign scenery,e tc), a climber's face is important to include.

Basically, remember this: you are NOT taking photos-- you are making images of memories. Nobody cares what things "actually" look like; they care how cool they look and whether the photo can make you imagine somethign other than what's there.