Camp site around Cheakamus Canyon

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Sylvian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Camp site around Cheakamus Canyon

Post by Sylvian » Tue May 18, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi there,

We (my girlfriend and I) are looking for a way to go and a place to sleep around Cheakamus Canyon during May Long.
So if :
1) you are going to Cheakamus this w-e and you have two places in your car
2) and/or you know a place where we could pitch our tent around the crags
3) and/or you are looking for 2 friendly partners from Switzerland, addicted to bolted routes (~ .11b-c on sight)
... please let us know !!

Thanks,

Sylvian

Russianfront
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Russianfront » Tue May 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Hi there. I was camping at Cheak last weekend. There is an informal campground just behind the main parking lot which is about 1 km up the Conroy Road from Hwy 99. There are about 3 "spots" which have been constantly used, 1 with picknick table but there are lots of other flat places to pitch a tent. If you can't arrange a ride I'm sure you could hitch-hike up there. Just look like a climber and show a rope and a fellow climber will pick you up just about anywhere on the highway. There is lots of 11's at both Forgotten Wall which is 10 seconds from the campground and more over at Circus and Toxic Lichen which are about 10 minutes walk away. Good luck and enjoy your time in Canada. Try to get the Squamish Select Guidebook, its the only one with Cheak climbs.

harihari

Post by harihari » Thu May 20, 2010 10:55 pm

don't leave your valuables lying around-- people get stuff ripped off from cars, even though that camping is right by forgotten wall.

Sylvian
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Sylvian » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:31 am

Thanks to both of you for the info, we had a great time at Cheakamus, Mutation is a great route :-)
We are planing now going to Pet Wall and same question, we wander if it's possible to camp around the crag in Murrin Park. Is that possible to pitch a tent discretly over there ?

Cheers,

Sylvian

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:33 pm

Camping at or near Murrin Park is probably not a good idea. There are signs there that say "no camping", and the boundaries seem to extend to Petrifying Wall. Also, the only parking there may be the (pay) parking lot, which is locked at night.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/explor ... gs/murrin/