What age to start kids climbing?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
bike

What age to start kids climbing?

Post by bike » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:28 am

I'm curious. How early have people started their kids climbing?
:?:

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:42 pm

4 or 5 for our kid.
Bradley

breadbin
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by breadbin » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:08 am

I started mine just as he turned 4, back in December, so I've only had him climbing indoors, not out on the rock. Season is upon us though, so I plan to take him out this year.

I find it's more about getting them comfortable, used to the gear and being high up. There's a book by Gary Joyce, Climbing with Children that's quite good. It's got a bit of stuff in for non-climbers which you can bypass, but I found there was some helpful stuff about how to be supportive without being the pushy parent. Also some great stuff about not tiring them out and avoiding injuries.

I find now he asks to go climbing quite a bit!

Ed

bike

Post by bike » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:48 am

Thanks. Great info. I hope he takes to it and enjoys it as much as I have over the years.

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:27 pm

sugarloaf is a good place for outdoor climbing for kids. i find alot of other crags are height dependant for the little ones and they have a real hard time. but sugarloaf has a bunch of holds for any height range.
Bradley

fredaudet
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by fredaudet » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:38 pm

I'd say it really depends on how your child is developed... I know a 2 year old who can climb, but I also know a 5 year old who can't. Please refer to professionals for safety equipment for those ages.

The earlier they start, they better they will be :)

postal
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by postal » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:14 pm

My son is nearly 2 years old and has been around climbing and climbing areas from about 3 or 4 weeks old. This summer we've noticed that he really watches and even cheers when mommy or daddy are climbing and he has taken to "bouldering" on his own! We recently started him in a harness indoors and he seems to do ok and is comfortable.

Something we have learned is not to push him or make him feel like he must climb. If he wants to, we are happy to make it happen for him. For the most part though, he'd rather play with sticks and rocks and try to sneak on the bouldering pads from time to time (even though he's not allowed!). Each child is going to differ widely in whether or not they will climb and/or when they will climb. Other than that, our philosophy has been to help instill a love (and stewardship) for the outdoors in our son so that we can enjoy it together as a family - whether it is climbing, hitting the beach, or hiking to a lone forest boulder.

Also, don't be a hockey-mom.
-Jer

raingod
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by raingod » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:41 am

My experience is similar to postals
My 2 year old daughter has been out at the crags and in the gym since she was 2 weeks old. I still get a kick out of it when she has her dolls climb the walls in her room.
When she asks we get her harness and helmet out and find something for her to climb. When she doesn't we try to keep her entertained exploring, finding sticks, rocks or bugs. When that doesn't work its time for her books and toys. When that doesn't work its time to go home.
Ron

bike

Post by bike » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks for the great input. I cannot wait to get him out there. It should be so much fun!