Community Forum changes - What would you like to see?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
joeljacques1
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Re: Community Forum changes - What would you like to see?

Post by joeljacques1 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:17 am

I think that losing the anominity aspect is a great idea. People should have to be accountable and stand behind what they post. This would certainly reduce the amount of slander and can only make the site better.

Also, i like the monkey/primate/walking man icons. I think it is a cool idea/feature.

Being able to post and view more photos would also be cool, and I think having a location where all of the topo's people create are stored would be awesome. As our giudebooks are becoming increasingly dated with so many routes being created/retro scrubbed etc it would be great to have a specific location to go to on the site to access all the topo's.

All in all personally think this site is a great resource. We do need an updated guide book soon though - Any idea when a new book may come out?

thanks,

Joel.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:19 am

I would like it if when you click on a link in a post it opens up a new window rather than navigate you away from this site. Then I can just close the window without having to hit the back button a whole bunch of times.

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:38 am

J Mace,
I'll look into this and see if I can fix this through settings. In the meantime, most (new) browsers work that if you right click while hovering over the link provide the option of opening up in a new tab or window. I would recommend Google Chrome, the functionality of this browser is pretty good.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb

BlahMatt

Post by BlahMatt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:34 am

Another way to open links in new tabs/windows (at least in Chrome, FF and IE is to click the link with the scroll wheel button). Of course this only works on mice that have a scroll wheel that is also a button.

bret

Post by bret » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:01 pm

squamish climber wrote:I'm also considering getting rid of the rank gif (the graphic that goes from monkey to ape to human)
I personally like the GIF.

RE: Anonymity

I think everyone should have to go through a standardized 30 min interview before being given a username and password. The standardized interview will include pertinent information such as; style of climber, opinions regarding bolting ethics, crag etiquette, SIN number, etc. Of course the interview will be uploaded to youtube and linked to the members profile, easily viewed by any member or future employer.

-Anonymous

gnarnaphobe

Post by gnarnaphobe » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:54 pm

Can we get an aid climbing page, where we can spray(more in my case) exchange beta find partners give tips and let each other know about fixed mank(or the lackthereof)? PLEEASE!

Also, like Bruce suggested, and alpine specific page for similar reasons as those mentioned above.
Imaging how much funner this could be with booze and explosives

Paul B
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Paul B » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:55 pm

I'm relatively new here and will likely disappear into the ether once its time to move on from Squamish (shortly) however I heavily use a UK based bouldering forum (one of the finest there is I might add).

A few years ago it implemented a 'karma' system where you can give people +ve or -ve karma (you can name it whatever you wish Gumbie / Hero, we use Punter / Wad). This way people who are rude, troll or offer terrible advice can be seen a mile off by their negative karma number. It works well and helps self police the forum. You'd never have thought just how concerned people may be about a piece of electronic karma.

You'll never remove the anonymity of the internet regardless of how you may try so insisting on posting under a real name is just plain daft.

An unread posts since last visit would be very useful and IMO I find the layout of the site very cluttered and difficult to read compared with other simple machines forums.

cramhead
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by cramhead » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:12 am

One thing that annoys me is that web cam image of sherif's badge from 2013 under the "Weather + traffic" > Squamish web cams section. I don't mind the picture as such but it's not very representative of the current weather. It would be great if it was updated regularly.
Thanks

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:32 pm

It looks like that one has gone off-line. I will inquire with District of Squamish.
Dave Jones - site admin
When you reach the top, keep climbing -- Zen proverb