Moving to Squamish.

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
rainlax
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Moving to Squamish.

Post by rainlax » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:56 pm

There's a good chance that I might be moving from Vancouver to Squamish at the end of the summer for a job. I'm female, in my late 20s, have been climbing in Vancouver for the past year or so and will want to get into the climbing scene in Squamish if I do move.

I haven't found much info online about groups/clubs/etc and I don't know anyone in the area who can introduce me to people. Is it easy to meet other climbers in Squamish? Where do climbers tend to meet?

Thanks for any info!

squamish climber
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by squamish climber » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:59 am

Hi rainlax,

Welcome to Squamishclimbing.com I'm sure it's not going to take long to feel at home with Squamish and the local climbing scene. People are very friendly and welcoming.

Here are some general suggestions for now:
- One way to meet climbers is to post on this forum in Find a Partner

In Squamish
- The Squamish Mountain Festival happens the second week of July. This is a great time and a great way to meet local climbers by volunteering or participating.
- there is a bouldering Coop in Squamish. Their email is squamishboulderingcoop(at)gmail.com
- The Climbing Shops in Squamish are a good source of info check out Climb On in Squamish and Valhalla Pure
- Also a good way to get to know the area and brush up on skills it to hire a local guide see the linkspage for some options.

Hopefully some others will pitch in with some suggestions as well. If you have any other questions come back and ask.

Good Luck

slopr

Post by slopr » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:51 pm

Many good options listed above but as a rule 20something females in Squam need only to show up in the boulders on a sunny Saturday afternoon and they will make many friends and probably even get invited for drinks or to a party, don't have a crashpad? even better! If you are looking to befriend female climbers however, i have no idea. Good Luck!

pinner

Post by pinner » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:14 pm

so you'll be creeping around in the boulders this Saturday, then slopr? ;)

slopr

Post by slopr » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:01 pm

If it's dry for sure, got a new crashpad just waiting for some random girls to crater on it! :D