Where to stay in squamish for car-less climbers

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
pyr
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Where to stay in squamish for car-less climbers

Post by pyr » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi,

two of us will be staying some 10 days, in squamish this summer with no cars, do you have any recommendations on a good place to stay and a good way to get to the base of the chief as well as the crags ? bike rentals seem expensive, is hitch-hiking easy ? for lodging i was looking at the inn by the water which seems central enough

thanks !

dunndan

Post by dunndan » Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Hitchhiking is really easy and fast around Squamish. The camp ground at the base of the chief is inexpensive and as close as you can get.

pyr
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by pyr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:22 am

Good to know. thanks for the info, i think we'll stick to hitchhiking then. see you in june :)

harihari

Post by harihari » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:25 pm

Make sure that when you come, you bring some padlocks, and store your gear in lockboxes (which I think the Chief campground has) if you are away from camp. Theft is a big problem in Squamish.

pyr
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by pyr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:20 pm

We're thinking of staying in a hostel since we're leaving for 15 days of canoe in the wild afterwards, a good bed won't hurt us for a week :) So I guess we'll have storage options there

Is theft a big problem at the base of climbs too ? I usually leave extra gear at the base of a climb and pick it up on my way down.

Thanks for the heads up.

harihari

Post by harihari » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:53 pm

FWIW, I've never had anything ripped off from the base of a climb in Squamish, but I have never left an enormous rack sitting around. If you are multipitching and rapping down, don't leave $1000 worth of cams sitting in the open; if you are cragging, I wouldn't worry.
pyr wrote:We're thinking of staying in a hostel since we're leaving for 15 days of canoe in the wild afterwards, a good bed won't hurt us for a week :) So I guess we'll have storage options there

Is theft a big problem at the base of climbs too ? I usually leave extra gear at the base of a climb and pick it up on my way down.

Thanks for the heads up.

kmsb

condo rental in Squamish

Post by kmsb » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:08 pm

:idea: You could always try a condo rental. Most of the hotels in downtown area are pretty dodgy, with drug dealers living in them year-round.
Inn by the water is good though, and probably the closest to the chief.

We rent our condo out for short and longterm stays, check out www.seatoskycondo.blogspot.com

Good luck!

Dooley

Re: condo rental in Squamish

Post by Dooley » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:24 pm

kmsb wrote::idea: You could always try a condo rental. Most of the hotels in downtown area are pretty dodgy, with drug dealers living in them year-round.
Inn by the water is good though, and probably the closest to the chief.

We rent our condo out for short and longterm stays, check out www.seatoskycondo.blogspot.com

Good luck!
So is the above an accurate statement about the drug dealers, or a way for you to plug your company?

The Inn will be adequate. It is located about a 20 min walk to the crags (Smoke Bluffs or the Chief)
When in doubt....run it out!!!!