Self Belay / Rope Soloing

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
dunndan

Self Belay / Rope Soloing

Post by dunndan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:52 pm

Need advice on what device I should be using... lots of people recommend the Petzl mini traxion, but then lots of people claim the teeth with wreck the rope. I know a few people that use the petzl basic, but again with the teeth...

What are some of your preferred setups? pros and cons?

Thanks!

Cloudraker

Post by Cloudraker » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:25 am

The rig with two mini traxions and chest harness works sweet. Pretty sure you'll find a photo of it on one of the supertopo threads that dirty posted. I've also used a mini traxion and a shunt with a similar setup. If you're using a burly large diameter rope and it's weighted at the bottom so that the system is feeding without slack, the damage to your rope from the mini traxion teeth will be negligible...at least it has been for me. I use a Mammut 10.5mm rope, which I hate for anything but TR solo cuz it's rigid like cable and difficult to feed through a belay device ....but it's durable and works well for this purpose.

dunndan

Post by dunndan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:08 am

great help guys, follow up question about the process, would either of you be up for showing me the ropes when the weather gets a bit better?

Cheers,

Sunday

Post by Sunday » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:25 am

The Ushba became my new girlfriend last summer... she's an exotic Russian girl who always wants to Climb.