my first trip!

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
meg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

my first trip!

Post by meg » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:06 pm

I'm about to embark on my first trip to Squamish, and I have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answer to...

What's the scene with potable water, bathrooms, tables, etc. in the Chief campground?

Is there a bulletin board a la Camp 4 in the campground for meeting up with people?

Is car sleeping okay there?

Any issues with breakins at the campground or crags?

What's the deal for showers and laundry in town?

I'm coming from Yosemite, so I'm used to the super-regulated side of things and I'm curious what to plan for in Squamish!

Thanks for answering all my silly questions.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:43 pm

yes to all your questions, the park and city have everything including crime.

The difference between our parks and your parks is our wardens dont carry guns.

have fun

Khoi

Re: my first trip!

Post by Khoi » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:50 pm

The Chief campground has outhouses, picnic tables, a bulletin board, a couple of faucets over a drain in the ground, and no showers. I recommend you go into town for potable water.

I have no idea if car sleeping is OK there, but I have seen a few people get away with it.

You can go into town for laundry and showers.
~Khoi

jefffski

Post by jefffski » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:11 pm

the water is potable. all the filters are now in place and are awaiting final inspection by the authorities. I have been drinking the water for years with no ill effects, even before the new additional filters were installed.

The campground is relatively free of theft. Cars in the the loggers lane parking lot (smoke bluffs) and at the apron parking lot have been broken into, so do not leave valuables in your car in those lots.

valhalla pure, one of the climbing stores in town, has lockers. there are also lockable storage bins in the campground.

You can sleep in your car at the campground but you will still have to pay.

there is free camping at the spit, the kiteboarders area, --about 10 minutes away by car.

you can shower at the rec centre for $2 or $3. I also like to swim at browning lake at murrin park and at brome lake.

The campground is run by friendly climbers.

come and enjoy.

meg
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by meg » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:07 am

Thanks a lot for the info. I'm looking forward to exploring a new (to me) place.