Lie Back Flake dangerous

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
buce
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Lie Back Flake dangerous

Post by buce » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:53 am

On Monday June 15 I cranked on top of the flake at Neat and Cool wall and the top part of the flake moved noticeably. This will come down with the amount of climbers that do this route so climbers beware!

eresc

maybe remove it?

Post by eresc » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:48 am

Are you talking about the big flake left from Corn Flakes? If so, somebody should inspect it, and if deemed unstable, remove it. If that thing falls while there are people on the ground it could seriously injure somebody!

buce
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Lie back Flake

Post by buce » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:31 am

Yes the climb is called Lie Back Flake (5.9) and it is right next to Corn Flakes. Who do I notify about the potential rock fall danger?

pinner

Post by pinner » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:51 am

presumably you just have... I would think someone from the access society, or the Smoke Bluffs Park ?council?, who has a long-standing involvement in the local climbing development community will read this and take any action necessary.

That being said, hasn't the top of that flake flexed like that for a loooong time?

mocco
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by mocco » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:37 pm

On the topic of loose flakes, went up Deidre the other night, and the flake on top of the upper crack that you can handrail across just after the start of the 3rd pitch is also noticeably loose...I pulled on it and it felt like it would pull free quite easily. Also scary considering how busy it is on weekends, and how many will pull on it over the coming few months. Someone want to check it out and give a second opinion?

Sean

Don

Post by Don » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:45 am

http://books.google.com/books?id=O_SNr4 ... t&resnum=1

Try this link for all types of useful info on things like loose holds and other resources regarding climbing :wink: