So about that new Skaha Parking lot

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Aaron

So about that new Skaha Parking lot

Post by Aaron » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:40 pm

So with the new parking lot good to go this spring. I'm curious to know, when a person hikes in from the new lot, where are they going to be? In other words, if I take a B-line from the lot up the main trail to the bluffs what's the first crag I come to? Thanks.

Aaron.
WTF?

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:17 pm

I haven't been there yet, but from where it was pointed out to be and what was explained to me, the parking lot will be directly East of the southern most tip of the Fortress (you will walk downhill to that wall) and Southeast of the Wave (slight uphill walk for 5 mins to that wall).

Dru

Post by Dru » Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:26 am

so right next to peach buttress?

eresc

long weekend parking

Post by eresc » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:28 pm

For those venturing to Skaha for the weekend:

From http://www.skaha.org/index.php?option=c ... 7&Itemid=1
Skaha Parking Update

The new parking lot for Skaha Bluffs is open, the days are warming, and climbing is great.

The bad news: BC Parks have now informed us that for safety reasons only the 81 designated parking bays are to be used. This is approximately half the spaces for the normal Easter weekend traffic.

There can be no cramming cars in and absolutely no parking on the access road, most of which is on an easement across private land.

The good news is that after a significant dog-fight with the holders of the purse-strings the BC Parks people have secured the funding for the overflow parking lot. But......this will not be ready until after the May long-weekend.

This means that for Easter and the May long-weekend climbers have some decisions to make. They MUST be prepared to car pool.
They MIGHT want to consider an alternative venue for the long weekends. Come in mid-week when the parking is hassle-free. Be prepared for some inconvenience.

pinner

Post by pinner » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:31 pm

Wow... I know at least 3 full car loads going from Squamish, plus another two from Van... This is going to be an epic shitshow.

Good thing I'm going touring! :D

Trick

Any reports?

Post by Trick » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:27 am

So how was the parking situation in Skaha on the long weekend?

Cloudraker

Post by Cloudraker » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Parking situation was fine. The new parking lot is beautiful and is a big improvement over the previous one - not only is it paved but it's positioned higher so it's just a quick walk over to the Fortress etc., thereby avoiding the dreaded stairs :lol:

Anyway, although the parking lot was full over the weekend I think people were probably scared off by the forecast so it wasn't the epic shitshow that was predicted. A great weekend but ticks were out - I hate those little bastards :evil: :evil:

pinner

Post by pinner » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:29 pm

I got a tick here at home too! little barstard ... the mark's still there, and hurt like hell for a couple days. good to hear the shitshow was a non-issue! :D

Trick

Post by Trick » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:53 pm

Awesome thanks for the update! Glad to hear the approach has improved, although I secretly appreciated the warmup the stairs provided.
Shitty about the ticks!! GAH!! I freaking hate those things!!

Fre

Post by Fre » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:45 am

Thanks for the update, I might be going next weekend and the weekend after.

eresc

free?

Post by eresc » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:15 am

I also heard from friends who went on the weekend that the new parking lot is free! Correct?

smallman

Post by smallman » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:48 pm

yes. But I am wondering if this is a good thing in terms of promoting car pooling? Maybe a nominal parking fee (5.00 $) if used to maintain the park, acquire more land, and build new services would be a good thing. I see this coming in the very near future.

Trick

Post by Trick » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:06 am

I thought that the free parking was temporary, until they were able to come up with the system of charging and collecting the $$. We'll see I guess.

Cloudraker

Post by Cloudraker » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:56 am

yes, according to Howie Richardson free parking is only temporary. Enjoy it while it lasts.