Guidebook Help

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Coop
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Guidebook Help

Post by Coop » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:56 pm

Hey all,

I am planning on visiting Squamish for a month this June (would this be a good time to visit?), and I was hoping to get a little feedback on the guides. I understand from older forums that McClane's has many more climbs, but the squamish select is more clear, so these guides cover a sufficient amount of the bouldering as well? If not, is the Squamish Boulding Guide pretty good?

I appreciate the help!

Cheers,
Coop

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:55 pm

McLane's guide is the 'comprehensive' guide to Squamish (and ONLY Squamish). Bourdon's 'Squamish Select' is a guide to not only Squamish, but bouldering and sport climbing stretching all the way up to areas past Whistler.

imo, Squamish Select is a much better choice for you.

And June should be a fine time to come visit. But you might get caught in the rain some days... July/ August/ Sept are the best months.

Coop
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Coop » Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:55 am

Great. Thanks for the help!

piton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

guide book for Squamish

Post by piton » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:41 am

What is the most recently published guide book for climbing in Squamish? I would imaging that there has been a lot of development since the Select and McLane's books were first published.

Dru

Post by Dru » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:20 pm

The McLane guide is only routes, no boulder problems.

serac

new routes

Post by serac » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:20 pm

Those are the only two guides but there has only been a few hundred new routes since then. On the bright side it brings a little adventure back to climbing: standing at the bottom of what is obviously a route and deciding for yourself yeah I think this thing will go. Worse comes to worse I can say very few route of the routes are harder than 5.9 C2.

There might be a boulder guide in a year or two, a smokebluff- chek- pembi guide in two to three years.
Last one dead's a sissy

piton
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by piton » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:35 pm

Are there any local shops were I can pick the Squamish select up? We are coming up this weekend and I cant find the book down here, REI doesn't even have it.

Khoi

Post by Khoi » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:42 pm

You can buy the guidebooks at MEC in Vancouver or North Vancouver, and at Climb On in Squamish.
~Khoi

Marc Bourdon
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Marc Bourdon » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:50 am

Hi All,

We plan to do a brand new Squamish route climbing guide next summer, as soon as the Squamish Bouldering guide is finished. The Squamish Bouldering update is underway, going well, and will hopefully be ready by the spring.

Marc Bourdon - Quickdraw Publications