Climbing with kids

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
breadbin
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Climbing with kids

Post by breadbin » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:36 am

Hi all,

I was wondering how many of you are parents and if you take your little ones climbing? My boy is about to turn 3, and like all kids is a real monkey and loves to climb everything. Obviously I want to encourage this so he can become my belay-slave - only kidding :-)

My question(s) are actually how young did you start with yours? How soon is too soon to get them on the rope - not necessarily for structured climbing, but to get them used to being on the rope and having some fun. I sense there's a fine line between getting them started early and building confidence and just freaking them out so they don't ever want to go. I don't want to get too pushy, but would like to get him introduced to it sooner rather than later.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

ed

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:50 pm

my experience is its never too early. ive seen really little ones climbing up midway on walls to gear belays etc. i started ours out at 4 or 5. I showed my boy a couple falls on top rope to show him he had no reason to be afraid and he hasnt been scared since i showed him. i find at a young age most children havent developed a heightened fear of heights yet so i think its a good time to start them when there young, sugarloaf has some really height friendly routes that maintain there grade even if there short. i never push him past where he wants to climb to but i always encourage him to go further if he can.
Bradley

PAW

Post by PAW » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:56 pm

I agree. I started taking my niece's and nephews at the age of 2 and 4. Not much climbing but some hanging on the rope and trusting the gear. Plus learning how to lower.

Now at 4 and 6 they climb better then any friends their age. Just had a climbing bday party the other day. They're fearless and have reliable technique both going up and coming down.
GO BIG OR GO HOME