Buying or renting an RV in BC?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Mbyrod
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Buying or renting an RV in BC?

Post by Mbyrod » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:30 am

Hello

Me and my wife are coming to BC for about 8 weeks(of course visiting squamish). Flying in and out of Seattle (arriving 4/9). We are thinking about buying or renting a campervan or motorhome and would need some tips.

Good forums for this kind of stuff? (mainly trust climbers though :D )

Is it possible to find something decent (preferrably with shower) for around 3-5000 CAD?

Is it better to buy in Seattle? (problems with insurance?)

Shops in Vancouver or a way to find local sellers?

Would be grateful for any help I can get.

Cheers Magnus

ps: Also looking for climbing partner somewhere around 9-15/9 (Trad, multipitch, sport or whatever)

rowie
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by rowie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:03 am

Hi,

FWIW I researched hiring a campervan from Vancouver for 17 nights during our forthcoming trip and it was just working out to be too expensive for us (the cheapest was about $2600 for that period). You will save money if you can wild park your RV as you will also have to pay site fees if you use a proper site?

For us it has worked out much cheaper just hiring a car and staying in accommodation but you do lose the flexibility of an RV

Mbyrod
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Mbyrod » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:04 am

So how much is renting a normal car? And what does it add up to with the accomodation?
How much are the site fees?

supafly

Post by supafly » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:31 am

try these dudes:

http://www.westfaliarentals.com/

they're cheaper than most.

rowie
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by rowie » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:50 am

I can't remember exactly but think site fees were on average $25 - $40 a night depending on the site? I know that in New Zealand you can park up anywhere and sleep (so, no cost) but don't know if Canada is the same?

A small economy car for 18 days is abouit $550 - $600 (well, that's though a UK site anyway)

Camping and Car would be your cheapest option though

peteb

van for sale

Post by peteb » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:42 am

Hi Magnus,

I am selling my campervan.....it's the perfect rig, a brown 1984 Ford econoline campervan with raised roof. I bought it off a climbing buddy in squamish last year who put it many upgrades - solar panels, propane stove/oven, thermostat controlled heater- the van sleeps four people, runs great...has 180000 km on it.

If you are interested email me at pete@oneearthphotography.com and I'll send you some photos of it.

I am flying to panama on fri for a 2 week surf trip.....if you need to talk to anyone about the van call sue at 778 330 5775.

have a great trip

Pete