Wall of Attrition - Rap anchor replacement etiquette

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Goff
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Wall of Attrition - Rap anchor replacement etiquette

Post by Goff » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:46 pm

A partner and I had a go on Wall of Attrition yesterday. It's a tad dirty. I am think about giving it some TLC as the climbing was great and I bet it would get more traffic if it was clean. The rap stations were sketchy however. The one at the bottom of the 5th pitch was terrible, we avoided it on the rappel with a longer rappel to. I have never tried to replace anything in Squamish and am wondering what the "rules" are? Anybody know? I am happy to donate my time and money and put in new anchors and give it a scrub but was hoping for some advice on etiquette.

Oh yeah, if you are thinking about doing this route, take a long sleeve shirt/wind breaker even if it is roasting. It is out of the sun until 6pm and with the wind we got a bit chilly. Great option if you want to avoid the heat though.

EnigmaM

Post by EnigmaM » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:53 pm

contact the first ascentionist for their permission (replacement of the anchors to fixe style ones shouldn't be an issue i would imagine).

you have any pictures from your recent outing? i'm curious to see the current state of the route.

Goff
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Goff » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:38 pm

Sorry no pics. There was lots of lichen all over the route, some moss outside and in the cracks and a good amount of dirt in general. I should have worn safety glasses, I was getting dirt out of my eyes this morning still. There was also enough vegetation to be irritating and to start building up dirt. Some pruning would be nice.

Jason Kruk
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Jason Kruk » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:37 pm

For retro-ing fixed anchor stations don't worry about approval from the FAs. In Squamish, it's regarded as a cool thing to do. Thanks for the effort.

J

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:49 pm

good luck w/ the new anchors!

i've been on Wall of Attrition twice (several years ago), and thought that it [could] be good, but wasn't climbed enough...

Dru

Post by Dru » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:22 am

I was up on this route about 10 yrs ago with Luc Mailloux and at that time one of the anchors at the top of the 4th pitch was a cammed bong piton behind a flake that you could lift out by hand... :shock:

Maybe if it got decent anchors it would see more traffic.

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:00 am

ahhhhhhh. crazy bastards. :shock:
Bradley

serac

Post by serac » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Climb On has a bolt fund for the very purpose of replacing manky bolts. So you don't need to use up your own money.
Last one dead's a sissy

EnigmaM

Post by EnigmaM » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:43 pm

good to know. when you getting started on cleaning this for the rest of us?