Carbon tax...

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
dakine

Carbon tax...

Post by dakine » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:49 pm

pinner

Post by pinner » Tue Jun 24, 2008 7:05 am

old news, and bad idea. Campbell will be done after this if it's not repealed soon in light of the fuel price crisis, over-inflation, and food price rise. We already pay percentage based federal and provincial taxes on gas prices, so the 2.4 cents per litre carbon tax has really already been collected since the idea was spawned due to the rapid surge in gas prices.... The $100 is a payout to make the average income earner think "oh great, free money" and forget about the tax. Also, I have seen several pundits dismiss Taylor's assurance of 'revenue neutral' out of hand - although I must admit I don't know enough about the issue to make an educated prognosis. Either way, I ride my bike to the crags if I can, and don't when I can't, and an extra 2.4 c/l is not going to change that one iota for me or most others, just make me grimace harder at the pump and curse Campbell, that freewheeling, joyriding, DUI-ing, jetsetting, giant-carbon-footprint-bearing emission-expeller.... so saying that this will achieve 7.5% of the governments intended emission reduction by 2020 is a lark - and everybody knows it.

now who wants to go outside and hit the crag??

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:11 pm

Im all for it!!!!

1.40 gas has done more for the environment than the last 5 years of talking about it!!

people are finally changing their ways, if we can just get it to around 2$ people will change their ways

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:56 pm

J Mace wrote:Im all for it!!!!

1.40 gas has done more for the environment than the last 5 years of talking about it!!

people are finally changing their ways, if we can just get it to around 2$ people will change their ways
but...but....now we'll never be able to afford to get to the Anderson :(

Dru

Post by Dru » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:10 am

Unless you already live in the Valley (it's more affordable, quicker and cheaper to drive to Steinbok than Squamish for me :D )

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:48 pm

I dont drive to work so I can afford to drive on the weekend, you know priorties :)

Tradrenn

Post by Tradrenn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:35 pm

J Mace wrote:Im all for it!!!!
1.40 gas has done more for the environment than the last 5 years of talking about it!! people are finally changing their ways, if we can just get it to around 2$ people will change their ways
That's what I'm thinking too. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one.

Trick

re: Carbon Tax

Post by Trick » Tue Jul 01, 2008 8:50 am

I think it's a good idea. I found myself limiting my driving since the price hikes, and this will just further that change in more and more people. It can't be easy for the commuters but hopefully this will make carpooling, and just living closer to work more attractive. Plus I guess it's also a good way to soak the tourists for a little more.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:49 am

sucks for me... i'm driving over 60 kms ONE WAY to work :cry:

i guess that's my punishment for other things :roll:

Tradrenn

Re: re: Carbon Tax

Post by Tradrenn » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:53 am

Trick wrote:hopefully this will make carpooling, and just living closer to work more attractive.
I move here from Ontario in January 08 and I have noticed that we don't have any carpooling parking lots near highways like we do on east coast, it would be nice to have one at the end of highway 1 so we could carpool some more with our climbing partners.

Living closer to work is a very wise idea this days, it was easy for me to find a place close to my work, only 15 km's away, but what about people that own houses, it costs them an arm and a leg to sell a house and buy a next one closer to work.