Weather Today?? (Wed., June 4th)

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Pete L.
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Weather Today?? (Wed., June 4th)

Post by Pete L. » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:00 am

Can anyone up in Squamish fill us in on the weather situation up there today.
Is it worth the drive up?
Thanks.

Steve Townshend

Post by Steve Townshend » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:18 am

check out the web cams on this site:
http://www.squamishclimbing.com/squamish-web-cams.php

can't see the chief, it's under a cloud. it's damp but "do-able" depending what you want to climb, i think it won't get worse. the pavement is dry so the rock should be ok too.

jefffski

Post by jefffski » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:02 pm

[quote="Steve Townshend"]check out the web cams on this site:
http://www.squamishclimbing.com/squamish-web-cams.php

webcam date is april.

Steve Townshend

Post by Steve Townshend » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:03 am

jefffski wrote:
webcam date is april.
look at ALL of them.... the FIRST one doesn't work (it's from April), but at least 4 others DO work (usually), and sometimes 5 others work (the "Transmission Delayed" ones sometimes work... as of right now [June 5th 11am] there was one that worked on June 3rd @ 9:30am, and the one above that last worked on May 24th at 10:43am. if both of those worked then there would be 7 that work and 2 that don't....)

still gives you an idea of the Wx in Sqm.....

Here's another way to get a report for the local area.... Use the Aviation Weather page:

http://www.flightplanning.navcanada.ca/ ... peDoc=html

click on "METAR/TAF", then type in "CWAE" [Whistler] and if you want "CYVR" [Vancouver]. there's no weather reporting station in Squamish for aviation (there is one for Marine but i'm not sure how to access it).

if you aren't a pilot you'll want to also click on "plain language" on the top or it's going to come up in code that you probably can't read.

When it loads up.... the time will be 24h clock on the right, but it is UTC which is the same everywhere in the world (Grenich England), so for BC you have to subtract 7 hours [right now, and 8 hrs in the winter]... ie.... if it says the report was taken at 1700 UTC that is 10am local time.

scroll to the bottom for the most recent report. Whistler doesn't have a TAF (that's a forecast) they only have METARs (reports every hour on the hour).

just so you know.... under Cloudiness.... the term "broken" or "overcast" constitutes a ceiling (as far as aviation is concerned).... if you were in a plane you couldn't plan on flying higher than a "broken" layer of clouds if you are flying VFR (Visually).... you'd have to fly IFR (Instruments)....

There's lots of other good info on that site:

If you want to play around with it (if it's raining and you're bored and want to get better at predicting the weather), check out:
- Wx Cams
- Graphical FA
- Radar
- Satellite

Have fun and see you at the crag (when the rain stops)

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:33 pm

Here's another way to get a report for the local area.... Use the Aviation Weather page:
or just hit past 24 hours on the ec weather page and the web cam :)

Mike C.

Post by Mike C. » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:38 pm

its all about the wind. its the dry maker.

:p
And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? --Homer Simpson