Climers' Worst Enemy

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Charlie

Post by Charlie » Fri May 23, 2008 3:23 pm

When it comes to the dogs, you might as well be talking about peoples' unruly kids. People treat their dogs like people, which at times can be cute, but at others be very annoying. But a member of the family none the less, not to be left at home or in the car.

I guess my point is this: unless there is an out-right ban, dogs are going to continue being at the crags and most likely, off leash. If you're not happy with it, confront the dog owners face to face and complain. Or as MCpl puts it, smack them up side the head for good measure. (MCpl, when you getting promoted? :))

I am not for banning dogs, but the bureaucrats at BC Parks will do it if climbers don't shape up. However, unless Chek becomes a BC Park, dogs will rein over us.

Soontobe
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Soontobe » Fri May 23, 2008 7:40 pm

The first time I climbed in Squamish I was blown away by the dogs off leash around the chief. Initially I didn't mind. I thought it was funny. But then I was bouldering with two people who were afraid of dogs and it seriously affected their day. Now I have no patience for them.

Steve Townshend

Dogs

Post by Steve Townshend » Fri May 23, 2008 8:50 pm

ok, i'm a Dog owner. I've always liked dogs and enjoyed their company when others have them at the crag.

That being said... like everything: "The few ruin it for the many". i was in the Pet store the other day to get Chava (that's my dog) some dog food. like always, i have him ON-LEASH, but to my dis-may, when i went in the store the girls working there told me he's not allowed in there any more! in a Pet Store! the girls there know my dog and LOVE him, they said it's a new rule because some A-hole had a bad dog that did some damage in the store!

Here's how it is: DOGS are not the problem; PEOPLE ARE!!!! People who have BAD dogs with behavioral problems (my ex-girlfriend who has my dog 1/2 the time is a dog trainer) SHOULD NOT bring them to public places! THESE dogs ruin it so that people (like "enchanted") don't want dogs around. Many Dogs are VERY well behaved! We allow my dog Off-leash on-the-trail because walking over scree with a dog on-leash is more dangerous both for the dog and the person. (Chava walks BEHIND us though.... on the trail.... and i pick up his sh*t too!). he only ate sh*t twice, and both times it was RIGHT IN THE PARKINGLOT (within a couple feet, he was in our sight... once it was litterally 10 feet from where cars park! oh, and in case you don't know... Dogs only eat HUMAN sh*t!).... This points out the bigger problem.... PEOPLE SH*TTING, not Dogs!!!! there is 100x more Human Sh*t at Chek in the summer than Dog Sh*t!

Dogs that Bark at approaching people, or bark constantly, or pee or sh*t where they shouldn't or eat stuff (like climbing shoes/gear/steal food from peoples packs), should NOT be brought to the crag.... BUT.... i see many PEOPLE who should ALSO "not be brought to the crag".

MOST problems with a messy crag or annoying experience at a crag stem from PEOPLE you encounter.... i'd say more than 99% is PEOPLE! Bad Dogs do suck, but really it's their OWNERS who suck and those people ruin it for people like me (and friends of mine) who have GOOD dogs!

I bring a bouldering mat to the crag with me, extra clothes/blanket, food, water, and i TIE HIM UP while i'm climbing.....

So "enchanted"... if you're going to "rant", please direct your rant at somebody else.

Have a good time climbing, and bring your GOOD dogs with you!
Steve

PS. SMALL dogs are the WORST!!! the little yappie ones! the breed makes a BIG difference as to their behavior; mine is a Whippet, he doesn't bark.... EVER.

Charlie

Post by Charlie » Sat May 24, 2008 9:33 am

I concur Steve, the dog owners are to blame. It's no different then holding the parents responsible for their children's illicit behaviors.

I hate dumping on dog owners as I work in a dog friendly office where dogs can roam free. Even though I dont own a dog myself, I still keep doggie treats on my desk for them and dog-site when needed.

However, even well-behaved dogs off-leash can annoy the hell out of people. I sympathize with all owners of good dogs that are being persecuted because of a few. But our society is run by a 'mob mentality' so those who dont deserve to suffer always do.

C'est la vie.

Okay, of to the crags!