Roadtrip in summer

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
zurigo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Roadtrip in summer

Post by zurigo » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:09 am

This spring and summer I will go for a roadtrip to the states and canada to climb all the fantastic areas. During July and August I want to stay and climb in Squamish and surounding area.

- does anyone have an idea about not to expensive accomodation (weekly or even one month)
- will it be difficult to find climbing partners. I am into sports climbing but willing to learn trad.

Any suggestion are welcomed.

Thank you

Theo from Switzerland

JSmith

Post by JSmith » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:55 am

First of all you will have no problems finding partners. Squamish is crawling with climbers in the summer. As far as a place to stay goes, you can camp for free on crown land, you can pay $9 to share a campsite at the chief campground, if you must sleep under a roof the Inn On The Water is $30 a night. There is a possibility that you could rent a room from someone as there are many "climbing" houses, but that relies on your networking skills. See you in the summer!

Steve Townshend

Squamish in the summer

Post by Steve Townshend » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:58 pm

Theo, i agree with JSmith that there are plenty of climbers here in the summer.... However... if you are into SPORT CLIMBING (like myself) it can be quite hard to find regular partners in Squamish.... it's much easier if you Boulder (90% of all the climbers in squamish in the summer seem to be Boulderers) or even trad climb. Also depends how hard you climb, if want to work on hard routes, it can make it even more difficult because there's only a few areas that have very hard routes (5.14/8b+ or harder).... seems like the harder you climb, the harder it can be to find partners.

as for a place to stay... Camping is one option (like Jay said), but if you're like me, i prefer to stay INDOORS.... it's especially nice if you're here for a LONG time and it rains!
$30 a night is a bit expensive ($900/month!!! ouch!) and i don't even know if you get your own room for that much!?!?
I suggest looking on Craigslist (www.craigslist.com); go to "Vancouver" and then click "Housing" and type in "Squamish". see what comes up. Also check out the SquamishChief (Local Newspaper) Classified Section.... you can see it on-line on their website:
http://www.squamishchief.com/madison/WQ ... pand=36#36

Also, other than the "Inn on the Water", there is also the Chiefton Hotel, and the Ocean Port Hotel; both are down-town and both have weekly/monthly rates. not sure how much they are though?
Good luck and hopefully see you this summer (i ONLY Sport climb as well).

Cheers,
Steve

zurigo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by zurigo » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:56 am

Thanks for your answers. Maybe see u guys in summer to climb some nice routes.
My trip will start in 2 weeks :D