climbing this weekend

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
jono

climbing this weekend

Post by jono » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:57 pm

Hi there,

I would be interested to find out what local climbing areas (trad/sport) are okay in winter (ie. have sun on them and not leaking).

Being from Australia I'm not used to the shade, rain, snow, or 4pm sunsets but am learning to deal with it.

With sun out at the moment and looking good this weekend I'm keen to hit the crag.

Thanks,
Jono.

XXXX

Post by XXXX » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:46 pm

Penny Lane gets the first sun around 9 am and is sunny all day and quick to dry. Mostly trad routes 5.8 to 5.11.
Neat & Cool and Burgers & Fries get sun an hour or so later and are better for winter afternoons.

Upper Malemute dries fast but faces west so best for afternoons. Also can be quite windy, feels colder than it is.

Mike C.

Post by Mike C. » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:07 am

its freeze dried up here. most of the chief is dry, although there are pockets of snow in a few places that dont see the sun in the winter. Its not going above freezing even in the sun, so nothing is really seeping...its just frickin cold and icy. Most of the boulders are dry. Its pretty shocking. Sloppy Poppy was dry yesterday, so thats a pretty good gauge of what else is dry. Cold and wind seem to dry the forest off pretty quickly.
And how is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive? --Homer Simpson