Backcountry skiing

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
hafilax

Backcountry skiing

Post by hafilax » Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:09 pm

I've managed to piece together an AT setup and am looking forward to some backcountry skiing around here (I've done a bit in Roger's Pass and around Whitewater). Where do you guys go to earn your turns?

PAW

Post by PAW » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:38 pm

know some squish locals that have been making turns up on Paul Ridge the last 2days. Repots of 4ft at red heather. Sounds well settled with a bit of fluffies up top.

Paul Ridge is in Garibaldi Park use the Elfin Lakes approach. Pay parking @ trailhead.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Miles

Post by Miles » Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:26 pm

Halifax,

There is tons of "near country" off of the ski resorts, Blackcomb, Whistler, Grouse, Seymour, Cypress, etc. Whistler-Blackcomb offers a backcountry access pass that is cheaper than the day pass, you get one ride up the lifts, as long as you have a beacon, probe, and shovel.

There is also tons of backcountry north of Whistler in the Pemberton area. Look for the book "Exploring the Coast Mountains on skis" by John Baldwin. I have visited several and recommend the Cayoosh Area where there is a nice cabin to spend the night.
"Head over heels I've fit in before, now I don't want to do it no more..."

hafilax

Post by hafilax » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:31 am

I've been studying Baldwin's book and have heard rumors that Matt Gunn is coming out with a new one soon. It's hard to discern the worthwhile trips though so I thought I'd see where the locals like to go.

I was up the Roe Cr FSR last weekend near Cypress Pk and had a blast. Good coverage but the creek was a b%$ch to cross. I'll check out Cayoush and Elfin (heard there were a lot of people up there last weekend). Thanks.