WTF! is up with the weather.

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Axel

WTF! is up with the weather.

Post by Axel » Sat Nov 03, 2007 6:49 am

It rains every F!@#ing weekend. This place blows!

5.4 Slayer

Post by 5.4 Slayer » Sat Nov 03, 2007 8:16 am

???? So.... you're new here Axel? This is just normal sh#t.

Axel

Post by Axel » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:17 am

No, I'm not new here. This isn't normal though. It seems this last season and so far this fall, Mother Nature has an agenda to ruin everyones weekend. C,mon it was decent all week and NOW it's raining.

Same thing the week before, and the week before ...... This is defintely the LAST winter I spend here.

Cloudraker

Post by Cloudraker » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:39 am

I agree about the trend of shitty weather on weekends over the last few months but this is a rainforest we live in. Enjoy the sunny days when you can and be thankful that the rain keeps a lot of people away who would otherwise be here.

If you really want to climb you can always find places to do it, regardless of the weather. It all comes down to how badly you want it.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:49 pm

the weather obviously sucks around this time. it always has and always will :roll:
but i will agree that it seemed to rain pretty much every other weekend all summer.

hafilax

Post by hafilax » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:01 pm

The shoulder season is always a problem. It's raining but not really snowing. At least in the winter when it's raining you know there will be freshies somewhere and when it's sunny and dry you can go out climbing. I shake my fist at the fall. Spring is much easier to handle.

bradley3297

Post by bradley3297 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:09 am

What a coincidence A beautiful monday morning!!! :x
Bradley

PAW

Post by PAW » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:59 am

went up to hike the North Gulley yesturday and found some fools climbing St. Vitus's. Seemed like maybe an alright idea but once I was up in the Gulley and saw how wet everything was I wondered WTF.

So 2hours later when were back at the car we see them on that last burly fist section when all of a sudden air time, buddy fell and bounced like 2 times on the slab underneath him. Seemingly unphased he got back up and sent that wet sh*t. Maybe training for the alpine but more like training for Squamish Rescue. Use your F%$#$&^ brain

PAW

The moral being its only bad if you think rain and wet rock is a deterrent. Sharpen those pics and poons.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Dru

Post by Dru » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:18 am

There was some pretty good alpine climbing available on Friday and the Harrison Lake crags were dry by Sunday noonish. At this time last year we were getting 150mm of rainfall and heavy flooding. Overall I prefer this fall to last year's.

Axel

Post by Axel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:35 pm

Friday isn't on the weekend. Harrison Lake crags? Can you expand on that?

Dru

Post by Dru » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:42 pm

Axel wrote:Friday isn't on the weekend. Harrison Lake crags? Can you expand on that?
The Harrison Bluffs. There's a guidebook and everything.
Friday was on MY weekend :D

Rockitman
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Rockitman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:27 pm

Hey!!!

I was up on St. Vitus yesterday and really enjoyed it! The fact that my partner fell two meters wasn't due to the fact that he was on lead, but rather that we linked the last two pitches and there was a lot of stretch on ~40m of rope. I can assure you the crack was more painful then the fall. Face it, you live in BC. If a little water on the rock prevents you from climbing you can always hit the gym, they'll be glad to take your money and hear you complain about the weather.

Hope you had a good hike...

Axel

Post by Axel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:05 pm

Friday was on MY weekend
I'm jealous! So where would I find this guide book. I don't think I've ever seen it anywhere. Rock wouldn't happen to be limestone would it?

Axel

Post by Axel » Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:09 pm

Some of you seem to be missing the point here. My gripe wasn't that it rains a lot here. Although I'm not particularily happy with that either, but that it has been "relatively" pleasant during the weekdays and THEN rains on the weekend. Went like that all damn summer too.

hafilax

Post by hafilax » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:19 pm

I guess PAW won't be getting an 'I Love Wet Crack' T-shirt. :wink:

Maybe it has been raining a lot on weekends. I saw the forecast this week and worked through the weekend so I could take Monday off for some climbing in the Bluffs. Lots of wet cracks to be had but at least the weather was nice.

I'm heading down to Smith this weekend. They're calling for 30% POP down there but I think the clouds will be the bigger issue in that it will be colder.