Bishop bound

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Dooley

Bishop bound

Post by Dooley » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:59 am

Not Squish related but there is'nt a road trip forum!

It is that time of year to head south. Goin to hit Bishop for the month of November. I know of all the bouldering and sport in Owens but my question is has anyone hit the Alpine granite there? I dont think that my body can with stand a month of Bishop bouldering!

Any info would be appreciated! Even any cool rest day hikes that you have done. Variety is what will keep me from getting injured!

Thanks,
-D
When in doubt....run it out!!!!

hafilax

Post by hafilax » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:02 pm

Hope you're having a blast. I'm jealous.

mcgarnickle

Post by mcgarnickle » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:02 pm

If you like trad, check out Little Egypt. There is a world-class 5.12 crack called Espresso there. There are also some decent 5.10's and a 5.11d called Dog Day Afternoon which is also amazing, an overhanging hand/fist crack! These are all great routes. At Rock Creek, there are also great sport climbs but outstanding trad routes in the 5.10 range. For more great sport routes at 5.12 on granite, check out Pine Creek canyon, from experience I can highly recommend Atomic Gecko, a 10 move boulder route!. I am not sure if the weather will allow you to climb these two places in the winter, but give them a try on warmer sunny days! Also, Pine Creek has the most difficult 5.13a in the world, a Tommy Herbert route called extacy, I can only say good luck with that one... Right next to it is the best 5.10a I have ever done, a 200 foot crack-of-all-sizes, the amazing Sheila. Bring every piece you own, you will use them all! If you feel adventurous, do Quivering Thighs, I did this route with Peter Croft a few years back and it is bad a$% hard for 11 something!
This is a great area with TONS of potential, enjoy it!
Μολὼν λάβε

Steve J

Dooley

Post by Dooley » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:51 am

Thanks for the responses but unfortunately I had and never seen them! I have now returned and am missing the sun and climbing! Oh well I guess it is time to get ready for ice!

-D

hafilax

Post by hafilax » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:06 pm

Welcome back. I may have to give ice climbing a try this year. I'm afraid I'll like it though.

Dooley

Post by Dooley » Fri Nov 30, 2007 5:59 pm

Ah poundin ice is a great way to spend the winter! It is however a little costly for the start up if you do like it! Rent the gear and give it a shot...it is my first love!