Tips for cleaning dirty crack?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
erock

Tips for cleaning dirty crack?

Post by erock » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:13 pm

I'm cleaning cracks for the first time and having a though go of it. Some of the cracks are just filled with roots and mucky dirt and my brushes, hands, nut tool and minor irrigation are just not cutting it. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to use in this situation, as to cut down the time spent grunting and hanging in a harness?

Most of my issues are at the top of the climb where there is lot's of moss too. I'm cleaning tonnes of moss and dirt of the top so it wont just seep muck back into the cracks.

Also if anyone is feeling an urge to assist me, as there is lots of FA potential, please PM me...Drill, anyone?

Thanks

-eric

Axel

Post by Axel » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:13 pm

i use a 4000psi pressure washer. Not sure if that is an option for ya. otherwise it's just a lot of hard work.

I have a TE-5A Hilti 24V Cordless impat drill for sale. BP60 batt. and charger. $400.

Lot's of life left in it I just stumbled on a really good deal on a 36V so I upgraded. Contact George at Climb-On if you're interested.

mcgarnickle

Post by mcgarnickle » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:10 pm

When I saw this topic title, I had a great answer for you, but I guess some prudes may not like it, so at least enjoy my avatar...
Μολὼν λάβε

Steve J

erock

Post by erock » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:14 pm

I figured I would get some perverted replies.
Anyways, i Dont have a power washer and I dont think there is much of a water supply near by.

So i guess it's back to the hard work.

XXXX

Post by XXXX » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:37 pm

get an old ice tool (a stubai is perfect) and use it to mine out the crack and cut through any roots. the adze is also good for hacking out dirt and scraping off moss carpets

erock

Post by erock » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:06 pm

Good idea XXXX!
I'm gonna go see if i can find and old ice tool.

thanks

-eric

jstone
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by jstone » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:00 pm

A friend of mine who has done lots of cleaning recommended a 30" demo bar with the curved ears sharpened to cut through roots for my project. It does the trick, tie it off in the middle and it hangs horizontally behind you. also try to do the bulk of work on rap, Wayyyyyyyy easier. Good luck.

bike

Post by bike » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:13 pm

I have used the wrecking bar mentioned. I found it works pretty well.
I also made myself a bowsen chair. Much more comfortable for the rear end.

Mr.Sleazy

Crack cleaning

Post by Mr.Sleazy » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:22 pm

Rude replies should abound but people are so polite!

I know some use the big industrial push-brooms for major moss - the ones with the stiff bristles.

I always stuck to wire brush and gardening tools. A great tool is the 3-prong weeding tool, they are cheap at the hardware store, just break off the two outside prongs and keep the middle one - good for finger cracks.

Another good tool for cracks is a sidewalk edger, its for cutting a nice turf edge beside cement, but works well in cracks too. Old ice tool would work well too, but I like to use my old ice tool for ice!

Obviously, clean on rappel from the top down.

Stay safe!
Brian Pegg

Conor Mack

Re: Tips for cleaning dirty crack?

Post by Conor Mack » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:09 am

Power washer and water supply near by are very important if you want to clean cracks, and most importantly, moss. These are min requirements even if you are doing your kitchen hood cleaning.