First time to Squmish, what to do?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
justclimbingthrough

First time to Squmish, what to do?

Post by justclimbingthrough » Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:08 am

Hey all,

My wife and I are heading up to Squamish for a few days of climbing and we have never been climbing up there. So my question, what should I climb. We are probably limited to 1 pitch trad routes up to 5.10+ and if I take my wife on a good multipitch climb it will have to be less than 5.8 or so. So what routes do I HAVE to do. I have heard so much about Squamish I am so unbelievably stoked to check it out. So any ideas you can give me would be awesome. Also, any recommendations for a camping spot and where the best place to find some green. You know, the whole package. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Tom

paulc

Post by paulc » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:19 am

Good single pitch trad:

Exasporater 10c
all the stuff at Up Among the Firs at Murrin
Neat and Cool (the climb) 10a
Flying Circus 10 something
Local Boys do Good (1st pitch) 10b (all the other climbs at Shannon falls main area are good

Do Banana Peel for a easy 5.7/5.8 multipitch
If you are ok with runout 5.7 suggest go to the top of the flake at the grand wall and climb Merci Me 5.7 runout.

Have fun and climb safe.

Paul

Peter

Post by Peter » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:51 pm

Camp at the base of the Chief.

Smoke Bluffs:
Penny Lane 9
Quarry Man 8
Climb and Punishment 10d
Neat and Cool 10a
Centre Street 10c
Cold Comfort 9
Murrin:
World's Toughest Milkman 8
Washington bullets 10c
Zoe 10a
A Little Testis 10b/c
Poster Boy 10+

Good stuff in the Bulletheads as well......

Multi-pitch
St. Vitus Dance 8
Snake 9 (she could do it)
Diedre 7 get up early!

boo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by boo » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:06 pm

I'm heading on from the southeast US in August. Thanks for these suggestions folks.

But, here is the real question....where are the best local places to get good, reasonable food and PINTS!

boo
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by boo » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:58 am

Thanks! I can't wait. :D

EnigmaM

Post by EnigmaM » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:57 pm

Gary you're forgetting hot waitresses and a double shady tree burger that defeats any amount of hunger.

ryan_boarder

Post by ryan_boarder » Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:52 am

don't forget the best moderate climb in squamish. Rock On. Just lie to the wife and say it's 5.8
Whether you think you can or you think you can't... you're right.

John Golden

Re: First time to Squmish, what to do?

Post by John Golden » Fri Aug 28, 2020 3:14 am

Yes, Shady Tree is the one you have to check out. It has a great pool to relax after having a tough day climbing. Just grab your pint and relax on the pool deck. I would recommend it.

SyracuseGutters

Post by SyracuseGutters » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:29 pm

We were there the other week and had a really great time at the Smoke Bluffs. Has some of the best climbing in Squamish in my opinion. It's located right across the highway from downtown. It's a great place to revel in the famous granite, one of the reasons the area is such a destination for climbing buffs like us :) I'd recommend the Penny Lane and Flying Circus if you're just testing out some climbs in the area. We had a great time taking off and got in some good climbs. Good luck! :mrgreen:

CitationVault

Post by CitationVault » Wed Oct 07, 2020 6:42 pm

SyracuseGutters wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:29 pm
We were there the other week and had a really great time at the Smoke Bluffs. Has some of the best climbing in Squamish in my opinion. It's located right across the highway from downtown. It's a great place to revel in the famous granite, one of the reasons the area is such a destination for climbing buffs like us :) I'd recommend the Penny Lane and Flying Circus if you're just testing out some climbs in the area. We had a great time taking off and got in some good climbs. Good luck! :mrgreen:
Thanks for this! I will try that Penny Lane and Flying Circus, sounds fun! Citation Vault