U-Wall Aid Beta?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
PAW

Post by PAW » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:01 am

leave all the sh*t behind and just focus on climbing continuously. If you back clean a bunch of the first pieces on pitch 1 you can link all the way to the third anchor in one pitch although I would short fix at the 2 other belays that you go past just cause.

I climbed it with a newer partner last week in 15hours CTC and we were not moving all that fast. I just short fixed 5 of the pitches together. The upper pitches are almost all fixed and go by really quick. We brought a small haul bag and hauled which I wouldn’t recommend I would just jug with a pack next time that way you can just walk off versus rapping Uncle Bens.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

WhiskeyKid
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by WhiskeyKid » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:50 pm

Yeah well, I did it in a day with a partner years ago (albeit a long day), but I wanted to do it solo more as practice than anything else. After my first attempt, where I was trying to go fast and light (and got lost on that hook move :( ) I thought it'd be a good opportunity to practice hauling and bivying solo on something I had been on a couple times. And when I'm on my own I kinda like taking my time and enjoying it, hanging out in the ledge in the morning drinking luke warm coffee out of a thermos. I'm not local there anymore, so it's all part of the trip experience y'know? After having reflected on it the last couple weeks though, I don't know if I'm going to get on it again anytime soon. The first couple pitches just seem like such a wrestling match in that corner, and when I get off I feel like I've run the gauntlet. Maybe next time I'm in town looking to solo something I'll hop on Uncle Ben's, I remember it being less obvious, but less strenuous as well.

PAW

Post by PAW » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:33 pm

its all about adjustable daisies. It makes it like hang dogging a sport route everytime you need to get higher you pull donw on the daisy and it lifts your phat a$% up.

It is the key to overhanging aid.

Easiest solo for logistics is wrist twister, merci me can be a b%$ch by yourself.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

WhiskeyKid
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by WhiskeyKid » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:21 am

Amen to that. I love my adjustable daisies. Have you used the Yates ones? I have the metolius type and it sometimes bugs me that you can't extend them unless you have a few inches of slack in the line, in order to flip the buckle up. Anyhow, they're getting somewhat ratty and was thinking about replacing them. The Yates look a little beefier...

PAW

Post by PAW » Wed Sep 12, 2007 3:56 pm

yes Ive got the Yates. Ive used both and there is no comparison. Ive been using 2 adjustable yates and one extra long reg daisy with a fifi. It sounds like a cluster but it doesnt seem to bug me more then benefit.

Example of the benefits. When using a cheat stick I just take the 3rd daisy off my harness and use it to make the length up to gain the next piece.

Also the Yates big wall gear harness is as good as it gets.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

c-plus

Post by c-plus » Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:03 pm

PAW wrote:its all about adjustable daisies.

It is the key to overhanging aid.
so true.. so true...

JohnPleasant

Re: U-Wall Aid Beta?

Post by JohnPleasant » Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:41 am

University wall? Did they allow it? Even if they do, make sure that the concrete wall is strong enough to aid climbers.