Falcon Closure

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
J Mace

Falcon Closure

Post by J Mace » Fri May 11, 2007 12:05 pm

is there any right now..if so is Movin to Montana part of it..?

thx

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Fri May 11, 2007 2:44 pm

same as always I hear

Access Society of BC

Post by Access Society of BC » Sat May 12, 2007 9:01 am

An excerpt from the Access Society's recent newsletter, regarding falcons on the Stawamus Chief.

Stawamus Chief - Peregrine Falcons

The Chief’s peregrine falcons are nesting in the usual area, in the upper part of the Dihedrals. The climbing closure is now in effect, through July 31st. Watch for B.C. Parks update notices at the Chief, regarding the area and duration of the closure.
Please report any falcon observations to B.C. Parks at (604) 898-3678 x 234.
Closed climbs: Clean Corner, Freeway and Western Dihedral (both 4th pitch & above), Supernaut, Negro Lesbian, Sports Illustrated, Crap Crags, Cloudburst, Slow Dyke, Sea of Tranquillity, Illusion, Getting Down in the Brown, Planet Caravan, Millenium Falcon, and Warriors of the Wasteland. No new route activity between Negro Lesbian and Freeway.
Open climbs: Arrowroute, Rutabaga, Sticky Fingers, Cleaning the Brain, Deadend Dihedral, Slow Duck, Time Passages, also Freeway and Western Dihedral (each to top of 3rd pitch).
In spring 2006, a pair of ravens nested at the top of Pleasant Pheasant, on Petrifying Wall near Murrin Provincial Park. They reportedly attacked some unwary climbers. If they nest there again - they often return - please stay away!

Will Stanhope
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Will Stanhope » Sun May 13, 2007 8:45 pm

hey guys

anybody know if 'brothers in arms' and 'men holding hands' are open?

thanks

will

rich k

Post by rich k » Sun May 13, 2007 8:51 pm

do you really want to go there, will?

Will Stanhope
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Will Stanhope » Mon May 14, 2007 6:59 am

It's the 21st century now.

Gay is okay.

rich k

Post by rich k » Mon May 14, 2007 9:10 am

that's cool, i won't judge it. :?

Access Society of BC

Post by Access Society of BC » Mon May 14, 2007 11:56 am

Will: The peregrine falcon nesting closure includes the entire area from Freeway to Negro Lesbian, from a point three pitches off the ground to the top, and includes both those routes. Brothers in Arms is within the closed area, except perhaps its first pitch, which is the third from the ground. I'm not familiar with Men Holding Hands, but if it's in the area that's affected, it'd be covered also.

B.C. Parks may have posted more information about this to its website, or at the campground or the Feldhammer kiosk at the start of the Grand Wall trail.

Tenn

Post by Tenn » Mon May 14, 2007 1:26 pm

Was hard to tell exactly where, but we definitely saw a party in the area of Millenium Falcon yesterday (we were on cruel shoes which is why it was hard to tell which route).

Maybe BC Parks/Access society needs to post a few more signs. Most of the locals know of the seasonal closures but visiting climbers may not. Reminds of a story of two Canadians getting busted for climbing the Rostrum during a falcon closure.

Saw two falcons flying around the crap crags area yesterday...

Will Stanhope
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by Will Stanhope » Mon May 14, 2007 4:13 pm

Thanks Anders.

I'm still unsure about 'men holding hands'. It keeps going up off the 'Daylight Crack' for two pitches. It parallels 'Freeway' and apparently the first five pitches of Freeway are open.

XXXX

Post by XXXX » Mon May 14, 2007 10:25 pm

i saw all sorts of dead bird parts along the base of the grand and base of the apron today, i assume it was falcons killing prey?

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Tue May 15, 2007 2:12 pm

yes they were on millenium falcon, we saw you guys on cruel shoes, but they rapped off after 4 pitches..which seems like what you are allowed to do...

however updating the web site would probably be the best choice as a sign at one trailhead may not be the best..since you can get there so many ways

heres the most recent update I can find on the web, its 2 years old.

http://access-society.ca/squamish/squam ... html#item6

gearheart

Post by gearheart » Tue May 15, 2007 6:54 pm

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Wed May 16, 2007 9:23 am

Thanks for that gearhart, thas what I was looking for

Cheers

tomtom
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by tomtom » Wed May 23, 2007 11:19 am

Are the aid routes north of Negro Lesbian (University Wall, Uncle Bens, etc) and routes south of Freeway on Tantalus Wall (Cannabis Wall, Wrist Twister) open?

I'm not that familiar with the locations of the free routes and my copy of McLane's book is MIA.