Ring Damage

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
MCpl

Ring Damage

Post by MCpl » Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:39 pm

I got this off of the Gripped forum. Some ugly pictures of what can happen if you climb with rings on your fingers. Warning! Distubing pictures.

http://www.uk-climbing.co.uk/phpBB22/vi ... .php?t=535

mcgarnickle

Post by mcgarnickle » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:45 am

Hey Marty, nice pics. But as with many stories which travel around a bit, this one has picked up some embelishments. Not saying this is fake, but it is NOT from climbing. I looked around some more on the all-knowing internets, and this is some industrial accident which cinched a cable around the guy's ring finger and denuded the bone like that.

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:03 am

Thanks for the info. I thought it looked familiar to the pics in the Industrial First Aid course.

But does anyone know what underliying damage is caused when climbing with rings. Some guy mumbled something in passing at the gym once and I didn't understand his whole explanation. Something about the tendons in the finger.

bike

Post by bike » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:41 pm

I think it is safe to say that the injuries in the pictures may be industrial accidents but the same results may occur when climbing.

Personally I feel more comfortable working with a ring on than climbing with a ring on. All you have to do is get the ring caught when falling and your finger may stay behind! :x