mountaineering clubs

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
sportysuz
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

mountaineering clubs

Post by sportysuz » Fri Mar 16, 2007 2:28 pm

Can anyone recommend a good mountaineering club to join? With mixed age group. That teaches avalanche awareness courses etc, and gives me good weekends away intermittently, about once a month would be good.

I liked the look of the UBC club, but as I am unsure if it is that one or simon fraser where I will be doing my post grad courses in conjunction with my job, I am yet unsure if I'm eligible to join, pretty sure I'm not.

Thanks again. :wink:

PAW

Post by PAW » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:22 pm

you can check out the British Columbia Mountaineering Club at

bcmc.ca. Im not a member but Im sure some folks on this site probably are or have been.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

sportysuz
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

thanks

Post by sportysuz » Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:02 am

Thank you; I will look into that one. Have had a positive response from UBC too, and I will no doubt do a course there so on that basis, I can then join that one. I will look into them both.

If anyone else is in any, their feedback would be appreciated as well.

numa_cruiser
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by numa_cruiser » Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:16 pm

If you're into swarming the frontcountry on Seymour with 58 other people on the same trip as you, join the VOC. You'll get the true essence of Vancouver's mountain culture. Oh yea, make sure you have the latest, flashy, most unnecessary, brand-name ridden, four-way stretch piece of gear you can find. Otherwise people might think you were from squamish or something. :shock:

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:49 pm

numa_cruiser wrote:...otherwise people might think you were from squamish or something. :shock:
haha. yea, you wouldn't want to be considered a dirt bag... :P