Scottish tale?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
squamishdirtbag
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Scottish tale?

Post by squamishdirtbag » Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:34 pm

Anyone know the current condition of A Scottish Tale, this saturdays calling for -7 ... whatcha all think?

PAW

Post by PAW » Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:34 am

looks like with the current forecast this route might finally form up by early next week.

Im looking for a partner for sunday, monday next week if you want to get after it.

drop me a pm

Peter
GO BIG OR GO HOME

PAW

update on conditions of olsen creek.

Post by PAW » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:48 am

Patrick and myself had high hopes of finding A Scottish tale in great shape. While hiking through the chief parking lot we were passed by 2 others also with similar plans.(Derek and someone else)

This bit is a bit of info for the next edition update or your next adventure

Lots of ice to climb in the right conditions. But the approach is pretty shitty in post holing conditions and made worse by snow all together. Go left (what we did was to far left) of the clear cut/slash and gain the base of the wall and traverse from A Squamish Tale (left side) over past a bunch of other ice and to A Scottish Tale.(Right side). It sounds like a bunch of squamish locals know quite a bit about this area it would enrich our culture if it was all shared.

If anyone has a picture of this area in winter to bring perspective of all the ice it would be greatly appreciated.

As for the ice we found was pretty good grade 3+ 30m pitch to good ice/screw anchor and a v thread. TR'ed couple of steeper bits of thinner ice, practiced our scottish skills on the thinned up slab at the bottom and then began the painful descent down trending right through the clear cut, forced to make one rappel over a cliff with a big roof to gain the forest floor and then it was easy trampling down to our old tracks on the logging road.

With the current weather forecast and its lofty elevation of 1700ft at the base it should stay in for a couple more days. And at least us and the other party put a track in for you.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

XXXX

Post by XXXX » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:29 pm

You mean like an overview shot from the 3rd Summit? That shouldn't be too hard to get.

PAW

Post by PAW » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:27 am

thats what I mean. Whats hard about it is wanting to waste a day to go to the top of the chief in an arctic outflow virsus going ice climbing.

Here is a pic on Nintendo 64 which forms 600m north of Murrin Parking lot on east side of road.

why cant i get the pic to show.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:26 pm

Jason

Post by Jason » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:30 pm

I got a little a head of myself.. The above (in italics) is the actual image file on the web, your post contained only the page in which the image was found.

PAW

Post by PAW » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:09 pm

thanks.

This thing has formed up twice this winter so far.
The top was a crazy hollow dome in which you could go in. When I drove past this Sunday on my way home from the scottish tale adventure the top had totally fallen down and there was no more ice on the right.

Oh the coastal temps. Indoors till the next outflow.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

pitted_date
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by pitted_date » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:18 pm

Top was in on Scottish Tale, as of morning of Jan 31. Couldn't see the middle of the route from the top of the First Peak. Squamish Tale looked a bit anemic from my vantage point. I'm not sure how thick it fills out.

squamishdirtbag
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Post by squamishdirtbag » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:19 pm

Its was in, climbed it about 1-2 weeks ago. Currently and over the next few days most likey raining on some or all of the route, so who knows.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:41 pm

any pics or...conditions you found..?

When you actually climbed it..?

Good tick, heard fluffy kitten is in as well..

Dru

Post by Dru » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:49 am

An online update for WCI 2nd ed. is in progress and will hopefully be posted on the westcoastice.com website once the season gets going.

In light of this, what is the last name of the "Patrick" that climbed this unnamed 30m WI3+ with you, Peter?

Also if you can provide a name for this route it can be called that instead of "Unnamed WI3+" in the update.

:D ICE IS COMING!

Dooley

Post by Dooley » Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:24 pm

Dru is there any word of conditions on the Duffy? Rambles and area.

Sorry to hijack!
When in doubt....run it out!!!!

Dru

Post by Dru » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:31 pm

Nothing in yet that I have heard of. I suspect if anything is in, it is the highest elevation stuff, like Sgt. Peppers and Belmore, rather than Rambles.