torching the granite dry?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
rich k

torching the granite dry?

Post by rich k » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:06 pm

just watched the vid 'first ascent': in it didier is blow-torching cobra crack to dry it. doesn't torching round or polish granite crystals (think gibbs cave)? if it does damage the rock, climbers should know this, and know that being caught with a torch in your hand is not a good thing. it's a bad call, right?

can't we just wait for the rock to dry?

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Re: torching the granite dry?

Post by Brendan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:26 pm

rich k wrote:can't we just wait for the rock to dry?
i personally haven't heard about this issue, and i know a lot of boulderers do it...
as for didier, what would you do if you were from switzerland w/ limited time?

psychedelic

Post by psychedelic » Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:27 pm

Who knows I haven't done that in a couple of years but when I did it allowed me to climb more days outside for sure.

rich k

Post by rich k » Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:39 pm

Brendan wrote:as for didier, what would you do if you were from switzerland w/ limited time?
there isn't really an established ethic on torches so i'm not trying to dispute what didier did, just trying to get a consensus of whether people think blow-torches will polish holds.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:26 pm

i realize that, i'm only stating the fact that you too would probably do it if your time overseas was cut short! :wink:

besides, i doubt cobra crack suffers from excessive climbing anyways.
i am also curious about the polishing situation? i noticed quite a few boulder problems at the base getting quite polished quite quickly?? :( or maybe they're just getting attempted by a lot of people :idea:

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:30 pm

The issue can be expanded to brushing. Doesn't that eventually smoothen the rock. It is espacially so on rock that isn't as hard as granite.

Then there is the use of chalk, eventually the rock is going to get sooo caked up with the stuff, it'll be like climbing on marble (or those damn so-ill bulb holds).

Everything we use to climb, and everyone (boulders, sport, trad, and aid climbers) is guilty, destroyes the rock somehow or eventually (or at least takes away from its original state).

The only thing we have going is that there is some, however little that is, to try to minimize our impact.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:05 pm

i feel fortunate that i can live and climb in this century. i bet most of the classics will be horrible to climb in the future, suffering from over-climbing, polished and greasy holds.

the evidence is all over squamish already :cry:

psychedelic

Post by psychedelic » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:14 pm

ya but see by the time all the classics are polished all the people will be climbing so hard that those will be easy. 50 years from now people will be warming up on like V12. What was the standard 50 years ago? 5.10 was the top? Anyones guess really...

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:47 pm

not to change the topic, but how much harder can we really climb? not to be pessimistic but look at some of the slopers people hang onto now. i can see the future going to big wall free climbing (look how far tommy brought it), or dws. take sharma's ascent in mallorca for example...
i don't know, as long as i can climb at least as hard as my previous season, i'm happy :mrgreen:

rich k

Post by rich k » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:03 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane_torch
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quartz

so are the crystals in squamish granite made of quartz???

if so, the melting point of quartz is about 1650C, according to my research, and propane torches can reach temperatures well above that.

is this correct, anyone?

if so, leave your torches at home!

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:34 pm

if there's one thing i kinda know about squamish granite (according to my prof.) it's that it's not really true 'granite.' it's something like quartz diorite or something, so yea, i guess the crystals are quartz? i think he also said that true granite was pink(ish)!?

Kevin?

Dooley

Post by Dooley » Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:29 pm

Rich you are pretty close. The thing to keep in mind if using a torch is not to keep directly applying flame to an area. You have to keep the movement in a sweeping motion so that you dont create a hot spot. I have torched many a problem and I can touch the hold immediately after applying heat. So that alone says that the rock is not getting much hotter then boiling point, and I dont even think it is getting near that. I have come to learn, that if you apply heat and the hold dries then climb on. If water keeps seeping out of the rock then it is just as well to call it quits and move on!

This is all from my experience of living on the east coast where it is winter for 6 months of the year!

Anders Ourom

Post by Anders Ourom » Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:39 pm

Glenn Woodsworth once told me that the Chief and surrounding cliffs are gradodiorite. Later the story changed, and apparently we're now just supposed to call it granite. Some sort of theological dispute amongst geologists, apparently.

Granite seems divisible into a variety of sub-species. Which one is mostly determined by the proportion of feldspar, quartz, biotite and other minerals. (It may also have to do with crystal size.)

There are also intrusions (dykes) and xenoliths. The dark-coloured ones are usually basalt, the light-coloured ones are aplite. "Xenolith" meaning foreign rock, what we call chicken heads.

"True" granite often has a pinkish tinge, a la Chamonix Aigulles. The rock at Lighthouse Park may be the closest we have to this, although it may have been discoloured by weathering.

There are undoubtedly posters (Drew?) who know more about this, who can perhaps elucidate. Glenn doesn't frequent forums, but I'll mention this one to him.

Isn't natural history fascinating?

Anders

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:24 pm

Anders Ourom wrote:gradodiorite
he means granodiorite :wink:

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:29 pm

Granodiorite:

"Granodiorite is an intermediate coloured, medium to coarse-grained intrusive rock. It falls between granite and quartz diorite, containing more dark minerals than granite but less than quartz diorite. The light coloured minerals are quartz and feldspar; the feldspar is a mixture of orthoclase and plagioclase. The dark coloured crystals are hornblende and/or biotite. Granodiorite is a very common intrusive rock in British Columbia."