Winter Climbing Destinations

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Cloudraker

Post by Cloudraker » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:14 pm

Mali is the place to go

Cheap once you get there!

Trip report: http://ktml.freeservers.com/Misc/mali.htm

PAW

Post by PAW » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:12 pm

Jtree would get my vote. For all around climbing in good weather.
GO BIG OR GO HOME

mcgarnickle

Post by mcgarnickle » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:56 am

Unless you are really a trad afficionado, J-tree will disappoint you. Yes there are bolted routes there, but they mostly suck.

Gary, just to to the Potrero. You won't climb on better limestone in north america. And there is enough variety to keep you coming back winter after winter. Not to mention the atmosphere of the camping is the best anywhere. Camp 4 has nothing on it. I got all the beta if you wanna know any details, and I can spray you down on lots of great routes to do as well.

XXXX

Post by XXXX » Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:57 pm

Kalymnos, Spain, Morocco

ras

Post by ras » Thu Oct 05, 2006 4:14 pm

meingh wrote:Some friends are planning on being in Potrero but I wanted to see what else people reccommended for that time of year. Feel free to fire of any info you have :)
Potrero is way cheap, even for mexico. My sweetheart and I lived like kings for about 30$us a day, including a room in the guest house at Homeros, and eating out every other night. The people around there are way friendly, easy to hitchhike into town and back, so we didn't need a car. You save a lot of money when you don't need to rent a car!

I've heard it can be crazy busy around christmas, but I was there the week before, and there was people to talk to, but no line ups. Nothing like Red Rocks over Christmas week, for example!

Bring a warm jacket. Its desert. No wind and no clouds, and you are in a t-shirt, clouds come in, fleece goes on, wind comes up, you want a toque and a shell, at least.

3apples
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

potrero... more

Post by 3apples » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:46 am

Ditto what ras and mcgarnickle said about people being super friendly, Potrero being super cheap and the limestone awesome. You can also camp for about $5/night at La Posada or Homero's. Or for free behind the cattle gate although there's no water.

I was there last January/February just after the big Christmas rush and it was super warm and there were rarely any lineups.

If you go there, you'll want a 70m rope for the majority of the climbs. (I rapped to the knot on a few pitches and had to downclimb to reach the anchor. Not fun.) I'm sure you've got tons of route beta already but if you need more, just ask.

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:28 pm

Australia

XXXX

Post by XXXX » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:30 pm

castle hill!

MGarcia

Post by MGarcia » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:07 am

I can also tell you lots of beta about potrero, I go there every other week. And El Salto if you want 5.12-5.13 overhangs on tufas.

ras

Re: Winter Climbing Destinations

Post by ras » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:52 pm

I heard great things about Cuba from a guy I met up at Skaha last week. I've heard rumours of climbing there, but not much beta. Turns out theres been lots of development, check it out:

http://www.cubaclimbing.com

Lots of sport, lots of Tufas... maybe in 2007 I'll be going down.

Soontobe
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Soontobe » Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:26 pm

I too want to go somewhere for warm climbing this winter!

I'm tentatively planning to bus/hitchhike/cycle through North and Central America and possibly South America as well from January to May.

I will be in search of great bouldering, surfing and DWS opportunities! I am only in the first stages of planning the trip so if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

I'm pumped about J Tree, Costa Rica, Belize and every delicious meal along the way!

psychedelic

Post by psychedelic » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 pm

Mali is sick looking. I looked into it not long ago and was surprised how much airfair was. Still someday... or maybe madagascar!

Soontobe
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by Soontobe » Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:59 pm

Climbing in Madagascar? I've never thought of that. I want to go someday for the wildlife, now for the climbing?