Cougar At The Crest

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
mcgarnickle

Post by mcgarnickle » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:48 am

In all seriousness, who owns that land? Can we bring guns? Cougars are no joke, I've seen a mauling first hand, and there's no bloody way a child, or even Jet Li for that matter, could fight one off bare-handed.

bike

Post by bike » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:10 am

Last time I checked the cougar would be in his own back yard. Can we shoot you in your back yard??

Just be careful when your there.

8)

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:44 am

Just to confirm. We're talking about a wild animal and not an older confident woman who is looking to make friends with some younger men, right?

ok. All joking aside. I think Chek used to be Crown land... but it is now a BC recreation area. I don't think that guns are common at picnics.

pitted_date
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Cougar

Post by pitted_date » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:30 am

When was the cougar spotted?
Was it approaching people?
Has it been seen since this initial sighting?

The Conservation Officer Service will be notified but they would like more information on the cougar. If it is hanging around the area and is potentially threatening people, they would most likely try to tranquilize the animal and relocate it.

If someone were to show up with a gun, they're more likely to harm someone else than the animal, or worse, hurt the animal and have it come back on them. Let the CO's do their job. If anyone has more information, please throw it up on this site or contact the COS hotline at 1.877.952.7277.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:58 am

bike wrote:Last time I checked the cougar would be in his own back yard. Can we shoot you in your back yard??

8)
lol, given the fact that mcgarnicle lives a little above ground level, and seeing you in his "back yard" would be a bit creepy, i wouldnt doubt it if he shot you on principle! lol...

mcgarnickle

Post by mcgarnickle » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:43 pm

bike wrote:Last time I checked the cougar would be in his own back yard. Can we shoot you in your back yard??

8)
That's pretty silly. I know animals live in the woods. I also like to go to the woods. I have no interest in being mauled or eaten by a wild animal. The next time I see a kid being dragged from his bike by a cougar, while the horrified parents watch and scream, I would like to do something. Maybe when you watch your kid being eaten by a shark, bear or cougar, you will just admit that it was their right to eat you kid because you stepped into it's backyard.

bike

Post by bike » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:21 am

Yup pretty much. I am just tired of an animal being shot because we like to hike in the woods. There are procautions you can take. ie bear bomb/spray

Meign has the right idea. The conservation officer knows what to do. Let them handle it. :D

Clive kessler

Post by Clive kessler » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:32 pm

i am bringing my shotgun to chek from now on... That way if its too big for my dogs to kill I'll be able to kill it...

Clive kessler

Post by Clive kessler » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:34 pm

oh yeah.

For all those that get pissed with dogs at the crag. It looks like this dog saved a young child by alerting people to the cat's presence.

mcgarnickle

Post by mcgarnickle » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:04 pm

Clive kessler wrote:i am bringing my shotgun to chek from now on... That way if its too big for my dogs to kill I'll be able to kill it...
Thanks god there are still some sane people left out there. And if someone who knows the law says its ok to bring firearms up there, count me in.

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:54 pm

Clive's not sane! :twisted:

thebigchin

Post by thebigchin » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:25 am

Clive kessler wrote: For all those that get pissed with dogs at the crag. It looks like this dog saved a young child by alerting people to the cat's presence.
What about those of us who get pissed with dogs AND young children at the crag.

Clive kessler

Post by Clive kessler » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:35 am

Then the cat would eat you..... and nobody would have to listen to your whining about kids and dogs at the crag.

What a wonderful thing that would be. :lol: