Driving time to Red Rocks?

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Driving time to Red Rocks?

Post by Brendan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:23 pm

does anyone know the distance (actual driving) from Van. to Red Rocks?? and how long it takes...
also, i have a map in front of me, but could someone suggest the best roads to take?
cheers

Mr.Sleazy

Driving time

Post by Mr.Sleazy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:03 pm

Hi Brendan:

If you are just keen on getting there and not any scenery, take the I-5 all the way to Bakersfield CA and then jog over to I-15 to Vegas. 120 - 130 kph all the way.

I recall the drive taking a total of 18-20 hours, plus stops.

Enjoy!
Brian Pegg

harihari

Re: Driving time

Post by harihari » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:49 pm

I do it by driving to Seattle, then down along I think I-90 to the bottom of Idaho, and then down through Nevada on a backroad. I think this is the shortest way in kilometers (I have looked on mapquest). I think it is about 2100 km, or two 11 hour days.

If you do this in the winter, you can dirtbag for free at Malad Gorge State Park which is I think about 10 miles before Twin Falls. Also while I-5 down through California/OR/WA is fast, it's BORING, and the eastern Nevada is an amazingly beautiful drive-- you have these incredible open spaces which are unlike anything we have in Canada (including the Prairies)-- and the roads are quite good.

If you have a bit more time (ie 4 mor hours), a great drive would also be to take I-5 into Oregon, then cut over into northern California, then drive down via Bishop to Lone Pine, and then through Death Valley (stunning) to Vegas. DV is great in winter. And you can hit Bishop wwith its stunning diversity of climbing and bouldering!

Mr.Sleazy wrote:Hi Brendan:

If you are just keen on getting there and not any scenery, take the I-5 all the way to Bakersfield CA and then jog over to I-15 to Vegas. 120 - 130 kph all the way.

I recall the drive taking a total of 18-20 hours, plus stops.

Enjoy!

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:07 pm

wow! thanks for the quick replies... i will definately consider both, although i will most likely take Brian's way!!? it's just that i'm probably going to quit my job (lame i know) and go down while my buddy's on vacation for 5 days! that leaves us w/ a full day of driving, maybe 3 days of climbing, and a day back!
or maybe i'll stay at my work, not go, and be sad?

rich k

Post by rich k » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:36 am

you might want to consider cali traffic. if you get stuck in a major city during rush hour you'll be pissed. if you go through idaho, the only major city with traffic problems is seattle i think, which you can time perfectly by leaving at the right time..

CrackHead Brad
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by CrackHead Brad » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:33 am

You might want to consider Utah instead of nevada. I think the climbing is better, more varied and closer then red rocks- plus no long and expensive park loop road and line ups (for crap) in the gallery... Sorry, not to much of the vegas dancing girl shenangans in the mormon state but zion scenery makes up for it. just my opinion.

YetAnotherDave

Post by YetAnotherDave » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:09 pm

rich k wrote:if you go through idaho, the only major city with traffic problems is seattle i think, which you can time perfectly by leaving at the right time..
You can go around seattle, and bypass a lot of the traffic. It's the four eighty-something, I think. Highly recommend spending $20 on a map book, the good ones show rest areas, which really helps with planning long drives.

harihari

How about City of Rocks?

Post by harihari » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:07 pm

You might also think about going to City of Rocks instead of going all the way to Vegas/Utah for 4 days.

The City is near Twin Falls, Idaho. It has incredible 1-4 pitch granite crack climbing as good as anything in Squamish, excellent sport routes into the high 12s (at Castle Rock which is about a 20 min drive down from the City proper), some bouldering, cheap beautiful camping, no crowds, access is a 5 minute walk to most crags, and a nice setting. Now is also the perfect time to be there. It takes one long day to get there from Vancouver.

stick

Post by stick » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:58 am

If you plan on coming home in 1 day you will need 3+ drivers in a constant rotation .... bank on 24 hrs! for 3 days of climbing, I would go closer but thats me. the tetons mabye? smith?

good luck

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:15 am

you guys all have great points! smith is probably out of the question, not only cause i'm not particularily fond of it, but because we go every spring... i enjoy cracks and can't boulder/sport climb if my life depended on it!! lol... my goal in red rocks was Desert Reality. oh well, i'll have to save it until we have more time off.
cheers

MCpl

Post by MCpl » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:29 am

I think the fastest way on map quest or something similar is Washington central (Yakima) then Oregon to Idaho onto I-15 through Utah into Arizona (north west corner) then to Vagas.

I did this years ago and we went slow stopping to eat at restaurants, but we did it in 24hrs.

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:23 pm

so far gary, that's the best idea yet!! 8)

Jason

Post by Jason » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:29 pm

mmm.. Desert Gold...

Brendan, you only need three days to climb everything worthwhile in Red Rocks.

1st day: DG
2nd day: Rainbow Wall Original Route
3rd day: Cloud Tower

Then you never have to go back!

Brendan
Posting Maniac
Posting Maniac

Post by Brendan » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:34 pm

Jason, thats a great shot!! whos climbing? got any more???
cheers