Fluffy kitten wall no access - chains across the road

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
iff
I'm New Here
I'm New Here

Fluffy kitten wall no access - chains across the road

Post by iff » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:23 pm

Stupid name for a *BRILLIANT* crag. I'm not sure that I've been to a better crag in squamish. And the hike in the book is exagerated, it is far easier. Took us half an hour even with many many rest stops.

Anyway, we took the 4WD gate bypass and drove up to the rope brigde. During the day there was LOTs of activity on the road including two other trucks who appeared to be together. they stopped to have a look at our truck then dissappeared down the road. When we got back to the 4wd bypass we found a heavy duty chains across both ends of the bypass with closed signs as well

The bastards had locked us in! What gives? do these union forestry workers really work on a sunday summer long weekend or is something more sinister afoot?

They weren't that bright though, because we managed to shimmy the chains up the trees enough to sneak the truck under!

I might add that the road is closed due to a bridge washout well beyond the climbing area, so that shouldn't affect crag access, and besides, as I said there was plenty of activity in the way of ATVs and dirt bikes.

J Mace

Post by J Mace » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:43 am

ha-I took the bypass on sat, then saw a so many trucks on the road..even cars..so Iasked..oh the gate is open..? WTF so I get down there and no the gates not open and a kid maybe 22 says he works for hydro and has locked the gate probably stranding all sorts of folks...I take the bypass outta there then scold myself for not asking to copy the key..for a price.

so chains now, that sucks probably boulders soon...

the folks who put most of the routes up, said " The wall was given its sissy name to foster a gentler atmosphere at the cliff, plus we were drunk. Hopefully a family type environment will prevail, and kittens and children will frolic amid subalpine flowers and butterflies."

awesome crag, too bad about the gate, I also picked up some fresh garbage on that trail....pack it out folks, and the rivver is so low you dont need the rope bridge

Mr.Sleazy

MoF #$)(*WEW(*E)

Post by Mr.Sleazy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:04 pm

Silly MonOfFor buggers!

Their website said that the Stawamus / Indian would be open summer 2006. Well hom many days do we have left in this - 12 I guess.

I would not be surprised if they permanently closed this gate with access only for Hydro / pipeline and water intake allowed. The "pickup cruising" club should be pretty pissed about this road closure too.

Its great that people are heading up to Fluffy Kitten to climb there anyways, this wall really is one of the best in Squamish, in August and September anyways.
Brian Pegg

Axel

Post by Axel » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:25 pm

I copied this from a post on BC 4x4:

Hey guys. Was just driving north of squamish to a family event. Thought I'd take a quick swing up the FSR by the chief that has a turn off to the.shut indian arm FSR. I walked up one of the bypasses (just seeing if the 80 could make it) and lo' and behold there is a conservation opfficer waiting on the other side. He told me of a few interesting facts.
- 250$ fine for driving a bypass
- they can get you for a number of extra fines if need be
- dirt bikes w/o liability get a fine that is 3X the cost of liability
- indian arm is going to remain deactivated due to lack of forest fire funding & repopulation of elk
- bc is "inventorizing" trails perhaps to dis allow any future ones that are cut

Really nice guy. I am not trying to help anyone evade anything ... Just educating everyone because I didn't know half this stuff.

Lucky that I didn't drive the pass and was just walking to check it out.