Term Definitions

Everything and anything to do with climbing in Squamish.
MCpl

Term Definitions

Post by MCpl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:49 pm

I've recently heard some terms used to describe certain types of climbers. I'm just looking for some definitions.

Gumby-??

Punter-??

Professional Climber-??

Pro-Ho-??

Pinkpoint-??

Brownpoint-??

And while we're at it.... how about these ones.

Sport Climber-??

Trad Climber-??

Boulderer-??

Aid Climber-??

rich k

Post by rich k » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:15 pm

pinkpoint - leading a climb from the ground up on pre-placed gear, without falling, not onsight/flash... some claim that sport climbing's redpoints are actually 'pinkpoints' but i prefer to leave the term for trad....

punter - a climber who prefers to TR (with helmet on), wearing socks in shoes, and rarely sends. the punter prefers to have to constantly defend one's self and tells jokes that aren't funny then laughs at them to try to save face. the punter is also known for spilling his/her chalk, among other things, then attempting to make eye contact with everyone who saw, with a 'what' expression on their face.

gumby - similar to punter with notable differences. although flexible, a gumby lacks the hardness that is required on bolder climbs. appears pale, malnutritioned, bendable. throws oneself at a climb that they don't necessarily have the strength to complete several times without sufficient rest, thus, making an ace of oneself.

professional climber - a climber that doesn't have a job, eats ramen noodles out of their van, and gets their shoes for free. a climber that has found a way to live without money.

pro-ho - borrowed from other sports, the climber's pro-ho mistakenly dates the most elite climber around with hopes of reaping fortune and fame benefits from the aforementioned pro. in the end, the pro-ho is let down, because a room in the vw and ramen noodles was not what they had in mind

i will not attempt to define brownpoint

rich k

Post by rich k » Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:34 pm

changed my mind:

brownpoint - a climber who while climbing the split pillar cannot make it to the top (where one can #2 in a bag, chalkbag, etc.) and manages to soil their pants while sending.........

Doc

Post by Doc » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:19 pm

Yellow and Brown Points are the TR equivalent to Red and Pink Points.

Yellow Point: Send on TR without fall, unclipping draws as you go
Brown Point: Send on TR without fall, no unclipping required

Nice gumby picture meingh.

Hey, ctardi.... You look hot, you must be from Maple Ridge! :)

ctardi

Post by ctardi » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:17 pm

hahahaha....today the 'gumby' put on his trad climbing hat. :p

Took my second (trad) lead fall though!

I also use 'punter' in the live sound reinforcement world. We basically use it for any of the audience (usually drunken) that you wish to 'punt' out of the venue.

ctardi

Post by ctardi » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:21 pm

Afterthoughts - I've never heard of a 'bolder' climb...what is it? Some kind of climb that makes you look more bold?

And: I didn't actually hang dog up that one...I just top roped it ;)

mcgarnickle

Post by mcgarnickle » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:56 pm

meingh wrote: hang your wait of your gear
Jeebus, who taught you how to spell Gary? I know correcting spelling on internet forums is pretty pointless, but every post you make has at least one spelling mistake. The above phrase has a couple. Is that on purpose? BTW, its "weight", not wait, and "off" not of.

phoenix
Casual Observer
Casual Observer

Post by phoenix » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:58 pm

Ok guys, you've made fun of rookies, elites, and pro-hos. Well, if there really are pro-hos out there, I guess they should be made fun of. But are there terms that describe the type of climbers that you guys are????

It would be cool to see you guys put your wits to use declaring and defining the terms that describe what kind of climber you are.

rich k

Post by rich k » Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:54 pm

sport climbers - climbers who show up to the crag having showered and combed their hair. sport climbers commonly have jobs and even occasionally have girlfriends. they are also known to have clean clothes without rips in them.

aid climbers - the most anti-social of all climbers, aid climbers are capable of hanging from marginal body weight pieces that can pop at any time. aid climbers stare into the face of death all day long, yet are so bored they don't care

trad climbers - pain and pride are not concerns for these climbers. jamming until their hands bleed is common, and offwidths are sometimes considered a challenge. also, hanging out in a sleeping bag with their buddy is kosher, if it makes climbing a big wall possible.

boulderers - climbers that are cool with climbing only 5 feet all day. also, boulderers are capable of looking at a 10 foot high piece of rock covered in moss and seeing something climbable. boulderers have been known to travel far distances in pursuit of these 'problems'.

Cloudraker

Post by Cloudraker » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:08 pm

Sport climbers getting into the team spirit for some afternoon brown pointing

tobyfk

Post by tobyfk » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:31 pm

Lifer:

Ageing dude who has failed to evolve into a golfer in his twilight years. Held together by Strappal tape and sustained by constant ingestion of Naparoxen and Glucosamine, the lifer remininisces often of a fantasy golden age when he was young and todays' hot shots not yet born. As in " ... back in the day we had just the single pin and tied-off twig for pro on that pitch .. "

Doc

Post by Doc » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:11 am

Here's a couple of others I've come across:

Green Point: Flash a route on TR

Free Point: Red Point on a TR

P.S. Gary, I'm still laughing at your post. :lol:

monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:18 pm

Sport Climbing- The type of climbing cool people do. These climbers typically have hot women dangling from their arms at all times.

Trad climbing- These people are all gay! They think they are straight because they are constantly ramming their nuts in cracks.( Sorry those cracks are not real, face it, your gay!)

Bouldering- These people have an a ss fetish. They don't climb with ropes as an excuse to grab each others a sses.

Aid climbing- For those who have contracted HIV

Gumby- Someone who reads this and actually takes offence.(I'm just kidding.......... but seriously!) :D